Employee Review of US Coast Guard - Check out more reviews of working at US Coast Guard

From Seattle and Delaware — 06/07/2007

I spent six years in the Coast Guard, and like most things, it's not entirely bad or good. I served at a small station in Delaware, and that was bad. My supervisors were mostly morons who would not have survived in the civilian world and took pleasure in treating us lower-ranking people like dogs. It was a terrible three years.
Things were better after I received some training and moved stations. I had an office job and worked for good people.
When I got out, I used my GI Bill and graduated from a really good university. I never would have been able to do that if I did not go into the military.
If you can go to college after high school, please do that. But if not, consider the Coast Guard. It's the military, but you will probably work in beach town and will never be shot at. But if you can get into college, please don't subject yourself to the military.