Employee Review of UPS - Check out more reviews of working at UPS

From MN — 03/20/2010

The pay isn't that great if you are part time. If you stay long enough you may get lucky and be promoted to full time. This pay is about $24.00 for people who work in the hub. The driver make around $30.00, and this is because of the extra caution that is needed to be a driver.

Respect is very good. My supervisor is really nice, but some are not and if you find yourself working for a supervisor you don't like switching to a different area is very easy.

Benefits are awesome. They are much better than any other job I have ever had. I don't use the benefits at my day job and this adds about $70.00 per week to my pay check. (401K = $100,000 added for every 5 years worked).

Job security is great. I have known drivers who have had DUI's and DWI's and still kept there jobs. Sometime they will be punished by having to transfer back into the hub and work for up to several years, but at least they still have there jobs and are making the same pay.

Work/life balance I would have to say is great. I have quit day jobs before without even thinking about it, because I make more working part-time at UPS then I do at my day job. Also you will never have to work weekends.

Career potential/growth If you work hard you will be rewarded. You may have to work part-time for several years to become full time. Some people become full time after one year; while others have to wait twelve.

Location My hub is about 20 minuets from home.

Co-Worker Competence Unfortunately this can be a problem, because of the union you have some people who will work very hard for the company and other who wont. You will have to pick-up the slack for the lazy people.

Work Environment is good. It can be very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. In the summer drink lots of H20 and in the winter were a jacket or sweater. Supervisors don't want you to get hurt, but they expect you to get the job done as fast as possible. I try to go my fastest, but Im not going to destroy my back to accomplish downtime and this is understood by my supervisor.

Ups is very up front when you come in for the group interview. I was told that work would be a lot like football practice, and this was true for about the first month. It does get easy after you body adjusts to the work. I have never been treated badly by a supervisor, and think that a lot of people complain because they can't handle the work.