Employee Review of Travelers Insurance - Check out more reviews of working at Travelers Insurance

From United States of America — 08/06/2009

I have been in claims for 25 years.

I have worked for three of their competitors and my comments reflect how Travelers compares to the rest.

Pay: better than average

Respect: better than average

Benefits: better than average and more affordable than average

Job Security: very good if you do your job well

Work/Life Balance: not very good, but you will not find a job in claims that it is good

Career Potential/Grown: excellent for performers

Location: average (field people work from home, and I happen to like that)

Co-worker Competence: better than average due to many tenured employees (unlike the churn and burn from many competitors)

Work Environment: better than average (average, meaning "the norm" is nothing to be proud of in this industry)

The Travelers is an outstanding company. Too many former Progressive recruits have messed things up in some areas of the country. There have been some very talented Progressive folks brought under the umbrella, but also some big mistakes. They tend to care more about metrics than customers or employees. Numbers are important, but not everything. There are a lot of seasoned and sound people in leadership positions that recognize this. There are some areas where the leadership roles are occupied by number crunchers that a terrible with people. Hang in there and they will move on one way or another. They always do.

There has been a change in culture over the last three to five years and the adjustment has not been easy for some. The changes are mostly positive. Travelers is being operated more like a business rather than a good old boys club. In this new culture results will be rewarded far more than effort or tenure. That method of operation is necessary for a business to remain competitive and profitable. If I owned my own business, I would run it that way. That still leaves still plenty of room for valuing employee faithfulness and long term service. The main difference is, people that perform and deliver the best results will end up earning more than those who have worked here longer. Some people feel they are entitled to earn more based on tenure. The bottom line is if they continue doing a good job, they will have a secure position for as long as they want it... They just might not earn as much as a top performer. To me, that makes perfect sense. It all boils down to what a person wants in their career.

Even top performers will eventually grow weary and slow their pace. Another new guy (or gal) with lots of energy will come along and give them a run for their money. Such is life. Itís not the end of the world.

I can attest from past experience that it would not take very long for a tenured Travelers employee that thinks the grass could be greener elsewhere to wake up and realize how good things were. You would regret leaving if you worked six months for Allstate, Progressive, or GEICO. State Farm was a great company to work for, but zero opportunities for advancement. Only minorities, women, and people with relatives in high places get promoted there. Promotions are not based on skill, performance, or experience. Even people that work there will tell you that, while they like their job, nepotism and affirmative action reign supreme. Many are resigned to the fact they will be doing the same thing until retirement. And, there's nothing wrong with that if it makes them happy.

One thing you can count on in any well managed business in this day and age is that satisfaction with the status quo and producing bad or mediocre results is a career killer. It will kill you no matter what your title is or how big your paycheck is.

We've all heard the cliche, "America. Love it or leave it" many times. Look at your job that way, no matter where you work, and you will live a happier life. People don't leave bad jobs. They leave bad bosses.