Employee Review of State Farm Insurance - Check out more reviews of working at State Farm Insurance

From Atlanta, GA — 02/05/2009

PAY: I have been with State Farm for 19 years and have worked in several different states. I can tell you that our pay is very competitive and the company always strives to make sure our pay is competitive. In fact, other companies have tried to lure me away and when I tell them what I make, they tell me to stay where I am and they can't come anywhere near what I make.
RESPECT: I know people that work for other insurance companies, people that have left State Farm to work for other companies and most come back because they hate where they work and realized how good they had it at State Farm.
BENEFITS: are good. Medical, Dental, 401K, pension, Life. Our 401K does not match dollar for dollar so I don't think its the best out there.
JOB SECURITY: State Farm has never laid off workers. We have 'reorganized' several times since I've worked there but everyone is always offered a job. A job is there if you're flexible and willing to relocate.
WORK/LIFE BALANCE: I work in claims. Work/life balance is an issue for some; however, the company does try it's best to accomodate everyone's needs depending on business need. I actually worked part time for about a year and then went full time again.
CAREER GROWTH: the company focuses on insurance education (CPCU, CLU). In order to move up you have to be mobile to other states/zones. State Farm does a very good job with developing their employees. A lot of time is spent with initial training. We have a reputation in the industry as having one of the best training programs.
LOCATION: we have operation centers all over the country.
Co-Worker Competence: as in any other job, you have people who are workers and those that just get by to get a pay check.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: is very good. We have adjusters who work in the field and those who work in an in-office enviornment.