Employee Review of Shopko - Check out more reviews of working at Shopko

From Wisconsin Rapids, WI — 07/28/2009

I have worked at this location for over 20 years, so I suppose I may be a little biased, but by quite a bit, the positives outweigh the negatives. Granted, the pay rate is definitely not the greatest, but the benefits for full-time employees are impressive (I get five weeks of paid vacation and six paid holidays, not to mention decent medical and dental benefits and a matching 401(k)). One of the best things about the company is the flexibility of scheduling. If you need to get off for a special event, or decide to attend college, most of the managers will work with you. One of the biggest drawbacks is that the General Office really doesn't have an idea as to what goes on at store level. They are constantly implementing changes that sound good on paper, but don't work in the real world. Job security is almost too good, it is almost impossible to get fired, because the GO is worried about lawsuits. This leads to some employees not really caring about their performance or how their attitude affects their co-workers. The managers are generally appreciative and respectful, but like any workplace, you do get the occasional arrogant, power-hungry, know-it-all, clueless manager. Thankfully, these don't usually last too long. One of the biggest complaints I have is that some co-workers don't realize that this is a retail environment, which does mean you will be working some nights, weekends and holidays. People who stay working in retail do so because they truly enjoy working and interacting with people and the thought of sitting at a desk for 8 hours or standing in a factory doing the same thing over and over is incomprehensible. So although, Shopko may not be the best place in the world to work, it definitely has its perks!