Employee Review of PETCO - Check out more reviews of working at PETCO

From Minnesota — 12/01/2009

I've been with the company 13 years. That's right, 13 years. I've worked in every area of the store (including management) except grooming. Have there been negative experiences in that time. Of course. I've had incompetent management, and some of the best management I've ever known. When things got bad, I always managed to find someone to listen. And things got worked out. I've had incredible co-workers and incompetent ones. Neither ended up staying long. The incompetent ones were either fired or quit on their own. The incredible ones generally moved on. This IS retail after all. Not exactly the field the truly incredible workers tend to stay in for life. The improvement in animal care over those 13 years is something I'm very proud of. Are there bad managers out there? Undoubtedly. Are there excellent ones? Definitely. Take the time to visit any place you're interested in applying to. Watch the employees. Are they happy? Are they busy? Are they the type of person you are or want to be? If yes, apply! If no, try somewhere else.