Employee Review of Old Navy - Check out more reviews of working at Old Navy

From Gilbert — 11/18/2009

Like most folks, I was unemployed and desperate for a job. I hit the pavement and applied to Old Navy. I've worked in retail before and was really not expecting a super awesome job. Come on, it's retail. I've been here for less than a month. Management keeps mentioning if you work hard then you might, just might be able to work past the holiday. So not my dream.
Overall some members of management are extremely unorganized. I received a call 2 hours before new hire orientation was to begin. Then this week, I was told that I had to come in on my day off for more training. Since it training wasn't appended to my schedule, I assumed it was my day off and made plans for my other part-time job and the place I do volunteer work. Sadly, I had to tell them that I can't come in. Then we had a mandatory meeting on a Sunday night from 6-9 p.m. When we got there we were told we had to help straighten the store. I could only stay for an hour, but folks were still straightening when I left. Not even sure when they got out of there.
From what I've seen, most of the folks are friendly and willing to help you out. Some are a little too serious about stock and shipment. Thankfully, I won't be working the register - yay!!! Just slinging shipment and restock.
The worst part are the customers. It's like parents lose their ability to watch their children because they're blinded by the awesome deals. And others thing they can be rude to you because you're just a retail sales associate. Little do they know I have an advanced degree and prior to the economic meltdown, was a computer programmer at a Fortune 500 company. So, suck it!
Without a doubt, the store is incredibly dirty, a constant mess and folding is an exercise in futility. If you like mundane, tedious work where you don't get to exercise your brain, then ON is for you.