Employee Review of Northrop Grumman - Check out more reviews of working at Northrop Grumman

From northern Virginia — 01/16/2009

Pay: pretty good for this area. Respect: good within my small group, but overall the people here are very standoffish. People tend to ignore you instead of saying hello when passing in the hallway. If they don't know you, they don't care to GET to know you. The only way to get to know somebody is to be assigned to work with them, otherwise they don't talk to you. Benefits: pretty good, but I'm befuddled why a DOD contractor doesn't give it's employees all of the federal holidays. It's ridiculous when my customers have days off that I don't get. Job Security: pretty darn good if you can stomach the beaurocracy, keep your head down and don't rock the boat. Work/life balance: fair in my group. We pretty much work our own hours because we're all responsible enough to finish our jobs properly. For example, I rarely work overtime because I get my work done promptly, but a coworker of mine is inefficient and always feels compelled to work OT. Management is fine with that as long as the work gets done. Career growth: uneven. Typical of huge companies, if you learn to schmooze you'll move up the ranks. If you keep your head down and get your work done well, they'll not even know you exist. Location: good since there are offices next to each Starbucks on every corner. (Seems like) Coworker competence: in my group, pretty poor. I'm working in a group of "cowboy" programmers who all do their own thing. Personally, when I see problems I like to try to solve them. But my coworkers are all stuck in the "we've always done it this way" mentality and they're VERY opposed to learning anything new. Work environment: pretty good for a cube farm. we have 5-foot cubicle "walls" so although it's not as good as private offices, they're really good for cubes. Also our building amenities are very good. Even better: I'm able to telecommute on occasion when I want to.

My biggest peeve with the company are the weekly slew of emails announcing who landed where on the latest management-go-round. They are always names I guess in upper management who I don't know, never will know, have no affect on my job and could care less which division they're heading up now. In contrast, communication within my group is HORRIBLE. When people get laid off, we usually only find out about it through the grapevine. In fact the only way to learn anything about what's going on that affects our jobs is through the grapevine.