Employee Review of Navy Federal Credit Union - Check out more reviews of working at Navy Federal Credit Union

From Pensacola, FL — 10/29/2008

PAY--Depending on what section you work, it's great! Other sections do pay a differential--if you work past 6pm you get 10% on top of your hourly rate and if you work Sat/Sun, you get 15%....so if you are willing to work nights/wkends, you can make a lot of money! On an average, I think that NFCU pays better than most financial institutions.

RESPECT---everyone here is very nice! They really look out for you. You can tell that everyone is on the same team. They even celebrate your birthday by decorating your cubicle and doing fun activities throughout the year for all employees.

BENEFITS---awesome. How about free 15 min massages at work and they cover massage as a part of their health benefit? Also, they reimburse for things like tennis shoes and gym equipment to promote healthy living. Pet insurace---got them covered too! They have state of the art gym and even a nurse on staff. Free Flu Shots, and 401K with 6% company match!

JOB SECURITY: As many companys are laying off, Navy Federal is the World's Largest Credit Union----and fortunately, have never had a layoff in the history of the company (since 1933). There has been some restructuring within the credit union that allows employees to work in other areas temporarily and the credit union is making smart choices to help departments within the credit union rather than hire additional employees which in turn, costs us more money. So it's good to know that they are forward thinkers.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Some may argue, but they really do care about this. If you work in our contact center--there are some nights/weekends because it's a 24 hour/365 day environment. But the company even has "leave donation" so if you are needing time off and don't have any more annual leave accrued, another employee can donate their time to you if they wish so you can do what you need to do. Also, there is a "friendship fund" for those times that come up (illness, funerals, etc.) where those who contribute to the fund will get the items they need (flowers, cards, baskets, etc.)

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: Since they have opened up a mini-headquarters in Pensacola, the opportunity to grow within has been great! You are just required to be in your position for 6 months then you can apply for any opening within the credit union. Also, because they have expanded membership to all of the armed forces, we are opening branches all over the world--so if you are willing to relocate and want to move up fast, there will be plenty of choices!

LOCATION: Construction in Pensacola is still underway but it is going to be amazing once it's done! The building is Florida's 1st certified "green building" Once completed, we will have a humungous cafeteria, mini mart, Starbucks, and a gym--equipped with spinning rooms, group exercise classes, and personal trainers!

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: For the most part, it seems everyone knows what they are doing---although I beg to differ on some of the management.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: Rated as one of Fortune Magazine's Top 100 companies to work for---as I mentioned, the benefits--massage, pet insurance, health/wellness, gym, cafeteria, starbucks, etc......what is there NOT to love?