Employee Review of MetLife - Check out more reviews of working at MetLife

From St. Louis, MO — 05/17/2008

Let me start off by saying how much I love my job. My title is Extended Customer Service Unit. I'm after hours property and casualty claims support. Basically, I'm the person you talk to for help with your claim after your adjuster has gone home. What I do is great for me because it's challenging without being stressful.

Pay: +3 - Pay starts at $10/hour, which is great for someone like me who is just out of high school with no college and little working experience. It supports a simple but comfortable life. If I ever decide that I'm not satisfied with how much I'm making right now, there is a lot of opportunity for advancement. (See Career Potential/Growth below.)

Respect: +5 - I sometimes feel like I'm bragging when I tell people about my job. It always really impresses everyone so it makes me feel proud. My supervisors are all very helpful but never micromanage. With any customer service job there is always the risk of talking to a customer that treats you poorly but it doesn’t happen to me enough to lower the score.

Benefits: 0 - I choose to work part time so I don't qualify for benefits. Benefits are available for those that do work full time, and I've never heard anything bad about them.

Job Security: +4 - The way I see it, as long as there are bad weather, car accidents, vandalism, and other incidents then there will always be a need for insurance claims. However, with any call center there is always the possibility of offshore outsourcing.

Work/Life Balance: +5 - As mentioned under Benefits, I choose to work part time so I enjoy plenty of freedom for hobbies and pets and friends and family. My supervisors have all been very understanding and accommodating when I've not been able to come in because of outside circumstances.

Career Potential/Growth: +5 - C. Robert Henrikson started out as an insurance agent setting up policies for customers. He worked his way up to chairman and chief executive. Enough said.

Location: -3 - I live about 20 miles away from the office, so location is probably the only bad thing for me. Commuting on the highway during rush hour traffic sometimes stretches a 30 minute trip into an hour and a half. With the price of gas the way it is, it's not uncommon for me to spend $80/week at the pump. I know I could probably find a closer job to save on gas but it says a lot about how much I love my job that I continue to work here.

Co-worker Competence: +5 - Everyone looks out for everyone. It's like a family here. There's always someone who is willing to trade hours with you, or even just order a pizza to share. Sometimes it's frustrating trying to work with inexperienced "newbies" but they usually get the hang of it pretty quickly. It's no wonder when there's a team of really great supervisors that are always ready to assist.

Work Environment: I would have selected +10 if I could've - I feel really "taken care" of here. It's not uncommon for the supervisors to order Crispy Creme donuts or Domino's pizza or Subway sandwiches for everyone on days when the call volume is especially high. The building itself is architecturally beautiful and it's surrounded by a huge campus adorned with flowers and trees. The office I work in is surrounded by windows so there's always natural light and a gorgeous view overlooking a pond. In the Spring you can watch Canada geese raise their families. On my breaks I often wander the halls admiring the brilliant modern paintings and sculptures presented throughout the building. There's a health program called W.O.W (Working on Wellness) that emphasizes health and stress management. In fact, the building has a "stress-free room" with a fainting couch and small library to go if you’re not feeling 100%. MetLife prides itself on its diversity. It's an equal opportunity employer and really goes all out on Black History Month and even GLBT History Month.

MetLife seems to understand that happy emploees means happy customers. :)