Employee Review of Macy's East/ Shoe Dept. - Check out more reviews of working at Macy's East/ Shoe Dept.

From Yonkers, NY — 05/23/2010

You apply for the job on line and check hourly wage you want to make. I checked over $16 per hour. Also, I live close by, so the job would have been perfect.
When you go for the interview, you assume they will agree to the pay. After a 30 minute interview where they tell you all about the benefits, health, 401K, small pension, potential for growth, they tell you they cannot pay you what you want but that in the Shoe Department you can make $8 per hour plus commissions.
What they fail to tell you is that you have to pay Macy's out of your commissions. So if you make $250 Macy's keeps about $200 & you get $50 in commissions. Then, if the shoes are returned by the customer, you will have the amount deducted from the next paycheck. You have to pay for health insurance, so your check gets even smaller. I stayed for 3 weeks after getting off unemployment and each of my checks was smaller that unemployment insurance.
The work environment is terrible, people are so unhappy there and they all have attitudes. The managers cannot do anything about it, since they know they pay too little to keep good workers.
The worst part was that the stock room for the shoes has 2 floors, so for 3 weeks I made trips up & down 14 steps to get shoes that some people did not buy. My legs & feet were killing me every single day.
I feel sorry for people that have to work under those conditions. Also, how can Macy's actually have Sales Rallys every morning to tell the associates how well they are doing and not pay these people what they deserve.
I never know working in retail could be so bad, but it truly is.