Employee Review of Kohl's - Check out more reviews of working at Kohl's

From West Virginia — 01/14/2010

I have worked for Kohl's for 2 and 1/2 years, and can honestly say that I think it is a great company. Part-time associates start out a little above minimum wage. As a full-time supervisor, my pay was lower than I was expecting, but I recieved decent raises on an annual basis.

Like any work environment, we have a few bad seed who have bad attitudes and like to cause drama, but for the most part, there is a high level of respect across the board.

I am a full-time employee, and I must say that the health benefits are far better than any that I had previously. They have also made a lot of great changes to their retirement plan.

As a company, they are doing very well financially, so job security does not seem like an issue at this time.

I reported directly to the store manager and had an outstanding relationship with her, so I've never had a problem with them working around my schedule, esp. when I decided to go back to school. I actually can't think of a time when the management team in general hasn't been willing to work with an employee on his or her schedule.

One area that I am very disappointed is the career potential/growth. I have recieved nothing but compliments from my manager and district manager, as well as several other managers within the district. HOWEVER, I have graduated from college and been in contact with the territory hiring manager for over a year and received nothing but empty promises in regardsto my advancement within the company. For this reason, I have lost a lot of respect for a company who claims to "promote from within."

My store is located in an up and coming shopping plaza, so location is good.

I have a great relationship with all of my co-workers. 95% are competent and good workers.

Work environment is better than most retail stores. It is true that the company is a little insane about pushing their credit card. With the exception of the spring, the store is usually staffed well, but the lack of hours is true for most retailers this time of year.

I'm definately not claiming that every store is run as well as mine is or staffed with such a great group of people. However, I have had far more positive experiences with the company than negative.