Employee Review of KMart - Check out more reviews of working at KMart

From Indiana — 08/20/2009

I have worked for Kmart for 2 years. As soon as I am able to get out, I'm gone. It's not a bad place if you have no job at all, but if you can get better, definitely go for it.

Pay: Like I have said, I have been here for two years, guess what! I am at minimum wage ($7.25)

Respect: At our store, respect is pretty good. We have an amazing store manager, and I have never heard anyone complain about her. However, our Soft lines manager can be hard to get along with at times, I mean our hard lines manager doesn't even like talking to her. Occasionally, she will surprise us and have a good day, but no one really counts on it.

Benefits: Pretty much stinks. I am currently just a floor worker. Yeah, I'm offered benefits, but I don't have any because I don't feel like paying through the roof prices to get them.

Job Security: Ha! For the most part, if you show up to work, your job is guaranteed. But occasionally there are people who get fired just because, "their services were no longer needed." That, or for those who actually have gotten raises in the past, their hours went way down because Kmart couldn't pay them.

Work/Life Balance: I can't complain, usually I leave work at work and have fun on my days off. One good thing about our Kmart is that there has never been any problem getting days off. Pretty much if you put in your request for a day off, you can have it off, unless it's during inventory or something major like that.

Career Potential/Growth: If your looking for KMart to be your life's career, well I hope you have a rich spouse, because although you can get lead positions, it is going to take you a long time to get there, and honestly, leads don't get paid any more than cashiers do right now since Kmart is on a pay freeze. Better hope a manager dies and your the next in line.

Location: Close to home, we are a small town with no Wal-mart, so location is good, not much competition.

Co-worker Competence: I enjoy the people I work with. There is maybe one person there that I do not like, and even then, I manage to get along with them at work. It's nice to talk to them out on the floor. Our store loves to talk; I think we talk more than work sometimes, but everything gets done somehow. Even though there are employees there that won't do anything, and still get to come to work. You just have to deal with it.

Work Environment: As long as you keep the managers happy, the store is a great/safe environment to work in. When they get stressed, the stress rolls downhill. The customers can be hard to get along with too, but you will have that at any retail store.

To sum it up: Don't work for Kmart if you don't have to, but if you must, you can make the best out of it if you try.