Employee Review of kbr - Check out more reviews of working at kbr

From Q-West / Balad — 06/06/2010

I actually worked for KBR - Brown/Root Services (BRS) as a radio and electronics tech in Q-West and Balad, Iraq from Sep'09 to Apr'10. I got offered a job from a resume I posted on Monster.com. The company paid for me to fly to Houston for processing. There, they provided hotel and meals for the seven days of unpaid processing. They then flew me to Iraq via Dubai UAE, where I worked much as I had in the Army, repairing radios and night vision devices. I got paid bi-weekly versus SEII employees (which only get paid monthly). I cannot speak of the health/dental benefits offered- as I did not partake (I am retired military and already had healthcare covered).

The money was sufficient. I knew going in that KBR is not the highest paid contractors in the Middle East. I also knew going in that they did not heavily scrutinize resumes. For the most part, my co-workers performed adequately, as most of the work is not brain surgery.

As for respect, I know of some people that were not dealt with fairly, but I was dealt with professionally in every aspect. I don't know if that was because I am more likeable or less likeable, but I didn't kiss any butt.

The environment is Iraq. It's not fun being there, but the money was okay and I am prior-service military so the climate/heat did not bother me. I had my own air-conditioned room, with a shared toilet/shower with one other person. Some KBR employees had it worse than me, some had it better.

The only reason I didn't fulfill my one year contract (I lasted 7 months) is that they moved me from one base to another and I did not particularly care for my new management (although it was not harsh in any regards). Add that to the fact that I used KBR as a jump-off for another, more technically oriented company that paid almost twice for the same skill set.

In summary, most of the bad things you might read here are from bitter people (KBR seems to have their share of them) who had higher expectations than the company could deliver. If you take a LOGCAP contract, just be comfortable with your paycheck, knowing others working around you (in other companies) will be making more money than you. If you are comfortable with working around the military (and it's bureaucracy), then you shouldn't have any problems pulling a year with KBR. KBR treated me fairly at every turn (especially when I just walked in and quit on a Monday). They fulfilled every promise they made to me and it was a very good experience for me.