Employee Review of Intuit - Check out more reviews of working at Intuit

From Plano, TX — 01/26/2009

In my experience, here are the good things about Intuit:

1) Pay - they pay better than a lot of companies. However, but raises are reserved for the top performers and most critical positions. On the downside, they are very stingy with stock options now, and there is no real long-term incentive there.
2) Customer Focus - They really do spend a lot of time and money trying to understand their customers and they try to incorporate this into their development efforts.
3) Facilities - In plano, they have a nice cafeteria, workout roon, and volleyball and basketball courts on site. However, they are pretty strapped on space and some people had to share offices (when I left at least).
4) There is a culture of civility at Intuit (which can be nice). You won't find a lot of people swearing at each other or ridiculing each other in meetings.
5) Transparency - There is decent tops-down communication. While you won't be told everything, you can easily find out information about sales numbers, revenue, etc.

The BAD things about working at Intuit...

1) Strategy of the week - Intuit is a very impatient organization. Every year there was a new major philosophy, strategy or process change. I love Scott Cook, but there was a lot of work created trying to incorporate the latest catchphrase or apply the latest innovation philosophy that he read about (because the one that he read about last month wasn't good enough anymore). Also, every year or so, there was a big rollout of a completely new strategic focus (at least for our business in Professional Tax). We spent tons of time trying to revise our three-year product strategies to reflect the new direction. All that we ever really ended up doing was reformatting and rewording the content to fit the new model...rejustifying the same old initiatives.

Also, trying to figure out whether we should be using Six Sigma or the next new Toyota quality model was tiring. We spent lots of time implementing those processes without a lot of results.

2) Reinventing the wheel - In a similar vein, we often had to rejustify projects after we were LONG into the development cycle to prove that they still fit into our strategy. Some new VP would come along and challenge why we were doing something. Ultimately a lot of good projects got killed.

3) Focus on the shareholer - no matter what they say, the shareholder comes first at Intuit. A lot of very shortsighted decisions were made in the name of making the quarterly numbers look good.

4) Politics - Everyplace has them, but they can get pretty thick between the San Diego group and the Plano group. Also, the Quickbooks team is the 800 pound gorilla. If they don't want your project to succeed, they will make sure that it gets killed.

5) Job Stabililty - I never felt that my job was safe in any way at Intuit. They like to make organizational changes all of the time. While large scale RIFs are not common, sporadic job eliminations are common.

6) Meeting Culture - I often had meetings at least 8 hrs per day. I had to work nights and weekends to get my actual work done.

7) Too many managers - Intuit is sort of like one of those road construction crews that you see on the road. There is on person working and eight other people supervising. Well, maybe it is not that bad, but there are entire groups devoted to do nothing by get status reports on projects and feed them up the chain. There are just tons of people whose jobs are spend collecting stauts reports and then rolling them up for the next layer of management. It was a little crazy.