Employee Review of Internal Revenue Service - Check out more reviews of working at Internal Revenue Service

From Seattle, WA — 02/06/2009

Yes the job is very secure, and work / life balance is easy to maintain with a 40 hour work week. I could make more money in the private sector, but not working these hours. Unfortunately the job security and hiring policies also means that there are a lot of people employed here that absolutely would not be able to stay employed in the private sector; there are the hygenically challenged, the socially inept, and the flat-out borderline insane. It's hard to maintain an air of professionalism when your co-workers wear dirtly, too tight clothes and sing loudly at their desks. It's hard to maintain any sense of the intrinsic value of your work when your drowning in deadlines and the few support staff you have are either lazy or completely incompetent. This job is soul crushing at times...but I try to keep a positive attitute because the pay is good and it's recession proof.