Employee Review of Hot Topic - Check out more reviews of working at Hot Topic

From Canton, Ohio — 08/26/2010

I've been working at Hot Topic for over a year now. I was hired last year as a seasonal Sales Associate. I had been wanting to work at Hot Topic for a long time, and all of the employees knew me already because I went into the store at least once a week. You could say I was ecstatic when I got hired. I was aware that as a season, I would probably lose my job after Christmas. But, I knew that some seasonals got kept. So I completely stepped up my game, busted my ass, and when my SM told me they wanted to keep me I literally jumped on him and gave him a hug (we're all very friendly with each other, so it wasn't weird or anything). I have had a decently pleasant experience working there thus far, with the exception of a few hectic days, or those days when you just don't really want to be at work. No matter where you are, it happens. But I wouldn't trade my job for any other one. I can wear what I want, have piercings, dye my hair any color I want, and most important, everyone accepts me for who I am.

PAY: This is the only thing I don't like about this job. I've been surviving on minimum wage for the past year, which isn't that big of a deal, because I'm still in high school and my mom pays for most of my stuff. Still though, I buy most of my clothes, all of my CDs, and a large chunk of my car payment. I also don't get very many hours... I've been there a year and I still sometimes get those weeks where I only work one day. It's kind of a bummer. I actually wished I worked more, not just for more money, but because I like being there.

RESPECT: I feel very respected while working. None of the management has ever talked down to me, or anything of the sort. Nobody has. We're all very friendly with each other, like I mentioned before, and it's almost like we're a sort of family. We're all very comfortable and get along with each other. It's one of the things I like most about this job. I like my coworkers better than my own friends.

BENEFITS: I'm only a sales associate, so I don't get any benefits other than a 20% discount off of music, etc. and a 40% discount off of everything else. I get most of my clothes at Hot Topic, because of my awesome discount. A lot of my money just goes back into the store.

JOB SECURITY: For me, it's good. I was a seasonal, and after being terrified of being let go, I got to stay. Plus, I do what I'm supposed to do (it's not hard obviously), I listen, I go above and beyond, and I am fairly certain that I will never lose my job.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Wonderful, considering I usually only work 3 days a week maximum. However, I usually get scheduled on weekends which kind of sucks, but I'm a loser that usually has no plans anyway. (: To be honest, work is my favorite place to be.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: I have no idea. I plan on staying with Hot Topic for a long time, because I like it there so much, and I'm hoping that after a few years I would maybe be promoted. But like I said, I really don't know.

LOCATION: I have never been to a mall that didn't have a Hot Topic, which is sweet. The one I work at is 10-15 minutes away from my house. Very convenient. Most people live near a mall.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: I love all of my coworkers. They're all some of the most wonderful people I've ever met. We get along very well. The sense of family between the people I work with is the best thing about this job in my opinion.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: Again, this is awesome. Hot Topic is a lot of fun, and just a great atmosphere.