Employee Review of Hannaford Supermarkets - Check out more reviews of working at Hannaford Supermarkets

From New York — 10/03/2010

Working at hannafords was a pretty good 3 year experience. It was definitely the best retail job i worked at and believe me i worked in a lot of retail places throughout the years.

The pay was good here, they hired me at 8 which was great at the time and within 6 months i had already gotten a 1.00 raise (with some help from a manager), and by the time i left i was making 11 dollars, which is really good for a 19 year old part-time flex worker. Also the holiday and Sunday benefits are amazing with a free 1 hour of pay for every 4 hours worked (Sunday Time). FEW retail places do this anymore so i was pleasantly surprised to learn about these Sunday benefits. The department managers in produce where i worked were really lax and treated you fairly most of the time. Although all of them RARELY worked past 3pm leaving the part-time employees on their own until 8 when we closed. They always let us eat any fruit we wanted to which was nice to eat melons daily and try a lot of exotic fruits i never even saw before working there. Career Potential/growth was always a possibility. Full time and department management positions were always opening up. They would let you know by posting it on the break room bulletin board.

There were some problems here too. Employment screening processing was minimal with no drug or background checks. Many people who worked there appeared to be drug users or mentally ill. For my department we closed at 8 so if it was your night to close and a fellow employee worked with you until 4-6 you could guarantee they would be lazy and waste time since they knew it was your ass if it looked messy in the morning and not his since YOU were the one closing. The employees who left early always took advantage of that which really sucked. My manager was a quirky guy and 50 percent of the time didn't do his job well. The orders would always be messed up by him so he would have to make routine stops to other stores to pick up produce when it was obviously just a farce to waste time. He would also always schedule himself 'til 2 or 3pm and never close with us and always forgot our requests off. He was finally fired though so i gotta give the company some credit. As with any retail job you have to deal with the customers who can be complete a**holes. If you were out of a item they blamed you and if you didn't know where something was they would always get really pissed. Bringing back Uboats of garbage, palets and trays of boxed produce was always hell because the customers would never get out of the damn way, they would always get pissed when you said excuse me. It was really annoying.

Other then those few problems which most was to blame on a certain manager i really enjoyed my employment at hannafords and would recommend working here to fellow youth or retail workers looking for a job.