Employee Review of Half Price Books - Check out more reviews of working at Half Price Books

From Houston, TX — 06/16/2007

Half Price Books is an excellent company to work for if you are a student or just love books. The company is run by ex-hippies and so the company really does have a caring attitude toward its employees. They offer free medical insurance, quarterly profit-sharing checks for full time employees, Christmas bonuses, and 401k contributions.

Chances are good that you will work with open-minded people that are genuinely nice. I've never worked with a better group of people. Of course, that can vary from store to store, but of the people I've met, all seem friendly.

If you like to be alone for long stretches of time, this job could be for you. Most of your time is spent shelving books in an assigned section, and you only do about two hours max on the register or in the buy function. At time the work can be boring and monotonous, but on the upside you get to see a whole bunch of new and different books that you may not have come across otherwise.

As for moving up in the company, promotions can be slow or fast depending on their needs at the time. If you do your work with even a modicum of pride and diligence, you will stand out and be more likely for promotions. They also tend to promote based on seniority, so the longer you're there the better chance you have of being promoted, though not always the case.

The pay isn't great, but it's a lot better than other bookstores, especially when you consider the profit-sharing checks and 401k contributions. Unlike most "new" bookstores, Half Price has a stellar employee discount for their products.

Again, this is a great job for students or someone that wants a cool part time job. Making a career of it could be rather difficult considering the pay. Many older adults that work with me work at least two or more jobs.

Most of all, you can't beat the general attitude of the place, which is one the reasons it's so fun to work there.