Employee Review of Guess - Check out more reviews of working at Guess

From NorthEast — 11/07/2009

Pay-The pay is above average for my area. The bonus potential is great at all levels. Gift cards for all if sales are made. Great bonus for managers.

Respect- I am in my early twentys and what I say matters. If you are great at what you do, others listen. If you are not, then you will sound like an idiot. Regional and District managers, corporate and buyers will listen if you know what you are talking about. My opinion counts and that is a change from other retailers.

Benefits- The health care is above average. Not the best, but better than most. As a store manager, I get about 5 weeks of vacation/holidays if I plan it right. Awesome bonus if you make sales. Amazing bonus for good shrink percent.

Job security- If you work in retail, and are good at it then you will never lose your job. If you suck at it, then you will be worked out of the system. I have seen it many times before. If you are willing to put in that little extra, then you will surpass most everyone else.

Work life balance- In every retailer, you have no life at Christmas. That is just how it goes. Same at Guess. At least they have awesome contests and give you money for food at the holidays. Retail is minimal holiday cheer. Period.

Career Growth-As I said earlier, if you are willing to put in the effort great things will come. The company is expanding and if you can swim you will, and if you can't you will sink. It's business.

Location- My store is 10-15 minutes from my house. It is perfect. My division is located in major cities. It is the stamp everywhere fashion is king.

Co-worker competence- This one can only be blamed on the store manager. You are only as strong as your weakest link. If you don't train your employees, you can't expect them to excel at what they do. Blaming it on college kinds just passes the blame. Try motivating them to be great at whatever they do.

Work environment- As SM, I set the tone. So if I were to act frustrated, then everyone else would be. If I am happy and outgoing, they follow. I have a laidback and open place for everyone to work.

I have worked for 5 retailers before Guess including Victoria's Secret, Macy's and American Eagle. Guess listens to management like I have never ever seen. They really care! The company is open about everything that is going on. On the other hand, if you are going to slack and be lazy, you will not work here for long. This company is for motivated people who want to be successful.