Employee Review of Garmin International - Check out more reviews of working at Garmin International

From Olathe, KS — 01/07/2009

Pay: Garmin pay is one notch below average, but that's made up for by a benefits package that is VERY generous.

Respect: This is a big engineering company, so they give you a lot of freedom to invent and try new things and they trust you to do your best. They don't micro manage (much).

Job Security has historically been good, but the downturn in the economy has everyone nervous. Garmin hasn't had any layoffs...yet, and they are still turning a profit. The future of the economy is definitely cloudy.

Work/Life balance is neutral. Garmin doesn't do anything to encourage OR hinder work/life balance. You are expected to work hard, but excessive overtime is not required. Recently they have started to allow a little bit of wiggle room in work schedule, but it's still relatively rigid compared to other companies that offer true flex-time.

Career Potential/Growth: It's a growing company, so there is a lot of opportunity for your career to grow with it.

Location: The location is not ideal. It's WAY far south of Kansas City...pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I assume they at least got the land for cheap.

Co-worker Competence: Garmin only hires the best and brightest. Every employe brings their "A" game every day. (Okay, well, there are a FEW exceptions even in the best companies) :)

Work Environment: The work environment is decent enough, and we have a cafeteria and a place to play ping pong. But we are also a little crammed at the moment because the company has grown faster than our floor space.