Employee Review of Family Video - Check out more reviews of working at Family Video

From Wisconsin — 10/12/2010

I've worked with the company for 2 years now, and I can say it's the most fun job I've ever had. I've noticed some people complain about the dress code, but others jobs ask you to wear suits everyday. It's not hard to dress up. Paywise it could be better, but if you make the sales it makes up for whatever pay you have. I make an extra 80-100 at least monthly just from sales, and no I am not full-time or management. I'm just a part-timer averaging 20-30 hours a week. The better your sales, the better probability you'll get scheduled. It also depends on how much a of a revenue your store has. It only has so many hours to give, store manager, assistant, and mit first. There have been a few times I haven't received many hours, but you have to understand there is only so much for payroll they can do.
As for the test, I do believe it can be a little over the top. Most people don't pass. I read somewhere on here about managers changing test scores. This should NOT be happening. I've never ran into a store manager, assistant, or mit, that has EVER changed a score. No matter how bad we want them for the company, if they don't pass they don't pass. I've helped at four other stores besides my own, and all management has been great! For my first interview we barely talked about my past work experience. They asked questions about me, things I do in my free time, ect. It's about personality. You want someone who will mesh well with not only your customers but co-workers. My closest friends are family video employees. We have so much in common, and I've never met nicer, more giving people.
A few people have complained about the break situation. Family Video is a PRIVATELY owned company. It doesn't have to have a 1 hour break; however, you can snack throughout your shift as long as it's kept on the back counter. Just plan accordingly people. It can get to be long days. Honestly though, it's not busy 24/7. There is some time to relax a little. This doesn't mean not doing anything. As long as you're kind of working on something. It's about caring about the company you're working for. If your actions don't show that you are dedicated to being your best, how can you expect hours and respect?
During "holiday" yes, it's hard to find time to have a balance for normal life stuff, but you're in SALES. It's what's expected. Overall, people are throwing so many negatives out there, but I believe that Family Video is honestly a great company. Other jobs I've dreaded going to work, but not in this situation. I look forward to going into work everyday!!