Employee Review of Dollar General - Check out more reviews of working at Dollar General

From Goodlettsville TN — 07/31/2009

I work in the Corporate office. After reading reviews on other companies I realize how thankful I am to have a good job. I can honestly say that I have amazing co-workers and management. In fact, I've had some of the best bosses here than I've ever had. They've even been life changing. I've worked here for about 3.5 years.

I gave Work/Life balance a 3 because I believe it can go either way. They don't demand unreasonable things from you - not on a regular basis, at least. If you're a workaholic though, its easy to become lost in your work and lose balance... and they definitely don't stop you. They do; however, promote a healthy work life with everything they offer. From working at other companies, the only thing I think they could do to improve this is to make employees - especially store managers - take 1 of their 2 weeks of vacation off consecutively. As in, you receive 2 weeks of vacation - of that, they should require you take 5 days off in a row to alleviate burnout.

Career Growth is pretty good there. I've been promoted twice from my original position. You will eventually get recognized for your hard work in one way or another. When I look at DG Corporate as a whole, I'd like to reassure the stores that while they face challenges, they can have faith that those running things on a larger scale are very dedicated and passionate about honestly improving things for stores and customers. "Serving Others" is definitely an appropriate motto that is fulfilled every day.

I know that our Store Managers have it rough and I can't disagree. I do see that those in Store Operations continually work toward making it better at store level.