Employee Review of DIRECTV - Check out more reviews of working at DIRECTV

From El Segundo, CA — 12/23/2006

For a lot of people, this would be an ideal job. They pay you very well, and don't expect a lot of work. It's hard to get fired, and if you're lucky you could get laid off and receive a big benefits package. (benefits and 401K are quite good) My caveat is that I am very ambitious and really enjoy working and stretching myself. I know there are a lot of people who just want a 9-5 where your boss isn't mean to you, and you might be very happy here. BUT - if you are at all enterprising, ambitious or otherwise interested in professional development, this isn't the right place. Senior management is quite smart, but in the trenches it's not an inspiring environment. There is a very weird sense of paranoia all around, perhaps because of a lot of management changes over the years. It's a demotivating environment if you care about excellence or are the slightest bit creative or enterprising in your outlook. The problem is that it's such a huge company, and so scared of change, that the people who are fast paced, work hard, etc just get demotivated very quickly by others around you. Literally, it takes just a few months to find it incredibly depressing.