Employee Review of DeVry University - Check out more reviews of working at DeVry University

From Naperville, IL — 11/05/2008

After reading most of the comments below you must forgive me for the attitude that is about to be displayed. I am FED UP with young people today thinking that they deserve promotions or awards just because they show up every day and sit in their cubical and do the job they were hired to do. You EARN a promotion by busting your butt day in and day out, thinking outside the box, taking on new responsibilities, showing up early, staying late... NOT JUST DOING THE JOB YOU APPLIED FOR. Now to add, I'm only 22 and still have this view. Why? Partially because of the way I was raised. My parents instilled an amazing work ethic in me and I can't thank them enough for that. I can't tell you how many people in my department have been there for years and just feel like they deserve a promotion because of their length of service. No my friend, thats what your annual raises are for. I had a rep in my department claim she wasn't promoted because our bosses are racist. This representative was also the first one to volunteer for anything that had to do with taking her away from actually doing her job. She was constantly strolling around talking to people instead of assisting students on the phones, she was rude to students and fellow employees alike and did absolutely NOTHING to earn a promotion. She apparently thought nobody was listening either when she said she just wanted to quit and get unemployment... WOW sounds like a real hardworkin gal to me... NO, actually... she sounds like a lazy leech of a person who should really just be fired.

DeVry is an amazing company to work for IF you plan to work hard. The only thing I actually find frustrating about my job is the complainers. The people who sit and do nothing, and complain about everything. If you don't like your job, then quit. If you can't quit then shutup and do your job correctly until you can. As far as the rep from OBT complaining about their service levels... try getting hammered with the call volume we've been getting hit with the past 5 months, getting degraded and screamed at by students every day AND having to hit our own service levels on top of it. I don't want to hear it. In today's economy be lucky you HAVE a job, and stop your whining. DeVry has gone through some tough crap in the past couple of months and while I can't stand behind the changes they've made or how they've chosen to handle their mistakes, I have not been the one to sit there and whine every day. When you're hit with hard times you do what you can to make it work and move on, you don't sit idly by and complain. Complaints meant nothing, try a suggestion next time and you may find a solution to your problem.