Employee Review of Dell - Check out more reviews of working at Dell

From Toronto, ON — 06/12/2007

If you are good at your job, you can make very good money. I see lots of people complaining about their pay at Dell, but maybe that is because they aren't as good as they think. I earned in the top 5% of salary.com for my job description. Respect is earned at Dell... sometimes by good work, but sometimes, for the wrong reasons too, so I have to score a 2 here. The benefits package at Dell is comparable with other Tier 1 vendors, score a 0 here to break even. Job security is very good at Dell *if* you are good at what you do, and have earned respect. If you aren't then just like anywhere else, expect to lose your job... If you are skating by, don't expect to keep your job anywhere. Work/Life balance is a constant problem. Working 80+ hour weeks is not abnormal. It is something that at least they pay lip service to, and when a difficult personal problem pops up, you do get the time off, score a -3 here. Career growth is difficult, often you are pigeon holed into a position or job type, there is lots of lateral movement, but limited upward mobility. Location is fine, if you don't like where you work, move or get a new job. Dell does tend to retain good people, but like any large organization there are idiots, co-worker competence tends to reflect dealing with the different departments. Morale is quite low, and the work environment is very difficult, score a -1. They do try to improve things with company events, but they tend to be geared towards the 20-30 set. Honestly, Dell can be a great place to work... work hard, be intelligent and you will get along fine.