Employee Review of CVS - Check out more reviews of working at CVS

From OH — 05/28/2009

I have worked in the pharmacy for about a year now.
I started out getting paid $7.00 an hour, which raised to $7.30 in about 6 months after I had completed all of my training. After I got certified as a tech, my pay went up to $8.50 which I can't complain too much about. But for the amount of work that we are doing, I still don't think that it is enough.
The respect is alright in my store, everyone is pretty nice and works together well. There is one pharmacist who does not respect anyone, and is extremely temperamental. But if you do your job quickly and efficiently without asking too many questions, she will leave you alone for the most part.
The benefits are decent too, we get 20% of everything in the store, and 30% CVS brand items. Reminding everyone that those items you are getting at a discount could be purchased at the nearest Wal-Mart for about a dollar cheaper. I can't comment on their health benefits since I do not recieve those.
Job security is really good at my store, as long as you come everyday and do your job, you will stay. If you get three write ups, I believe you get fired...but no one seems to get written up at my store.
Personally, my work/life balance is pretty nice since I only work about 20 hours a week. I do go to college full time though, but I find that I usually have plenty of time to do homework and go out with friends.
I would suppose there is some potential growth in the pharmacy, since I went from nothing to being a pharmacy tech in about 8 months. If you are going to school to be a pharmacist you can also intern there, but I am not going to school for that.
The location of my store is about 5 minutes away from my house, so it is very convenient.
Co-worker competence is pretty good, I would say only about 2 of our employees are a little on the dippy side. The majority of my co-workers know what they are doing, and are very helpful if you have a question.
The work environment can be chaotic, since we are a very busy store. Things are breaking frequently, such as registers, and computers tend to freeze, and our mats are not taped to the floors anymore.
I don't LIKE going to work, but I would say that it's not a terrible job. It would be a downright great job if it weren't for that one pharmacist and the customers. Most of the customers are nice and patient, but you do get the nut-jobs who don't like to wait or get irate when you tell them their prescription is too soon.
Overall, it's not so bad.