Employee Review of Burlington Coat Factory - Check out more reviews of working at Burlington Coat Factory

From Delaware County, PA — 01/06/2009

It's been quite a few years since I have worked for Burlington Coat Factory, but I must admit, my experience was fairly positive. I worked in our store's shipping/receiving department which wasn't too bad. I had great hours. I worked 9 - 5 Monday - Friday, which is pretty cool for working at a retail store. My pay rate ($7.00/hr) wasn't that great, but I guess that it was fair considering the fact that it was a fairly stress free position. The two older women who worked in the department with me drove me nuts at times, but they were fairly entertaining as well.
At one point, I offered to help open a new store. I offered to do this because my pay rate sucked, but if you assisted with a store opening, you could work unlimited overtime. I have to say, that I was quite impressed by the way the company took care of their volunteers. Opening a large department store, is quite a bit of work, but the company totally made it worth it. The store that I was helping to put together was only an hour, but they still put me up in a hotel for the week. We worked like 14 hour days for week, but our district manager was really cool and went out of his way to take care of us. Every morning he would round up the volunteers from his district and take us all out to breakfast. When lunch rolled around, he would do the same thing. Every night when we were done with work, he would take us all out to dinner. We weren't being taken out to McDonalds or anything like that. We were being taken out to some pretty decent places....Olive Garden, Red Lobster..places like that. If you wanted to drink, he would even buy booze for people at dinner time. It was a pretty good deal, and I definitely felt appreciated, which rarely happens, especially working in retail.
The manager of my store wasn't a bad guy either. At one point I got a job offer from another company - this company was offering a little more than what I was making at BCF. I quit BCF to take this other job, but after being at the new job for about two weeks - I realized that I hated it. I called the manager up and asked him if they had filled my old position - he told me that they had not. I asked him if I could get my old job back, and he was totally cool about it. He was just like, "sounds good, I will see you on Monday."
One downside was that the people on the salesfloor treated the people in the receiving department like crap. For the most part, they were pretty ignorant, but it wasn't anything that I couldn't handle.
The other downside was the health insurance. The health insurance plan was good, but full-timers had to wait a year in order to be eligible for health insurance. That was shameful.