Employee Review of Burlington Coat Factory - Check out more reviews of working at Burlington Coat Factory

From Kenner, LA — 12/31/2008

I have read alot of negative responses about Burlington Coat Factory, but believe it or not I have experienced a great time during my employment with this company. I really believe it depends on what location you work at and how the managers run the store. The pay is okay, which could be better - the biggest problem with that is that some of the new employees make the same or more as some that have been there for years like myself. To get raises it's almost impossible and only available once a year in January depending on sales. If the sales were down and you did your job it doesn't matter, no raise!!! Overall the managers respect the employees and the store manager often shows appreciation to indiviual employees. However, one of the assistant managers can often be rude and quite harsh. The benefits Suck! Health insurance is way too high! Cannot afford it, I believe only 4 or 5 people in the store get it.
The potential and career growth is good. I have often seen people promoted from within, or promoted and transfered to other stores. In fact, the store manager started as an employee himself and worked up to General Manager. He motivates others to strive for the same.

The overall work environment is good to me, and I love the store. The biggest problem I have is with the raises and health benefits. It's also pretty nice to see the manager's work along with the employees.