Employee Review of Banana Republic - Check out more reviews of working at Banana Republic

From Charlotte — 06/16/2010

First off I just want to say that you should not be put off by any of the reviews here. People usually come to these sites for the pure REASON of complaining about a job. It's not typical for someone to come to these sites to talk about how much they love their job. So please understand that.

Also, I see a lot of people complaining about having to actually work. Yes, if Gap Inc hires you, they're going to expect you to work. Do you expect them to pay you to sit around all day? Use common sense. If you want a job that hires you to do nothing, then this probably isn't for you. I'd suggest an acting career for that.

I basically just got this job to get out of the house for the summer.

Pay: It's pretty lousy for even a low-priced luxury retailer. Fortunately my parents pay for everything I do, so it's not that big of a deal to me.

Respect: I feel like I'm treated pretty well. As long as you show the managers respect, they will respect you. I do feel like they tend to have favorites with those of us who get more Banana Cards than others. But I think that's just part of working retail.

Benefits: None as a part-time. And it's pretty dang hard to get a full-time job here. We only have one non-manager at our store, which is the biggest one in Charlotte, who works full-time. I do get 50% off everything full-priced in GAP and Banana, as well as 30% in the outlets. Also 25% in Old Navy, but I think Old Navy's gross, so I don't use that.

Job Security: Honestly as long as you don't steal anything, or quit, you could have this job forever. I know a lot of people who work at my store have their availability set so that they work like once a month, just for the discount.

Work/Life Balance: I haven't had many issues with requesting time off. My requests have been respected every time so far. They do tend to like to schedule me outside of my availability on some weekends, though. But I'd say it's pretty good.

Career Potential/Growth: It would probably be pretty hard to go up in ranks working for Banana Republic. At least, at my store, there are over 100 employees to pick from for a promotion...

Location: I live in a very wealthy area. The mall it's in is the nicest mall between Atlanta and Philly on the east coast. It's a mall with Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Neiman Marcus, Juicy Couture, Ralph Lauren, Hermes, Michael Kors, Lacoste, Brooks Brothers, and so on. I like it.

Co-worker Competence: I get along very well with most all of my co-workers. They're nice people, and I've become good friends with a lot of them. Again, it might be the area, but I really like all of them.

Work Environment: I find it to be very nice. In the mall/area this particular store is in, I get to be around very wealthy people, which is what I'm used to. I feel like I fit in. I don't feel at risk of being shot or anything, most of the time. Although, with the Louis Vuitton in the mall, it does tend to attract lower-class people who 'think dey so classy cuz dey got dey louis vuitton bag and dey gucci sunglasses,' which kind of annoys me, but I suppose any nice mall attracts those sorts of people who like to attempt to display upward mobility (but fail miserably). But whatever. Other than that, I think it's a very nice, healthy environment.

My only complaint with working here is the Banana Cards. I think shoving credit cards down peoples' throats is highly unethical, ESPECIALLY in this economy. We ARE given greatly unrealistic BRC goals each month, that if you don't meet, you get to have a nice talk with one of the managers. Being a cashier mostly, I'm expected to get more credit cards than most, but I don't, because asking people if they want to open up a credit card repeatedly until they say yes is something I'm just not going to do. But I suppose this is just part of working retail.

Bottom line? I'd say this is a good job for teenagers who want to get out of the house or maybe make a little bit of money. They will expect you to work, though. Heaven forbid we actually work at our jobs! lol