Employee Review of AOL - Check out more reviews of working at AOL

From Dulles, VA — 10/04/2008

Pay is excellent. I've been in my industry for over ten years now and rarely do employers offer the amount I'm making for the type of work I'm doing.

I've never been disrespected in my entire time there. The people I've dealt with have been extremely positive and supportive. Very rare! Just goes to show if you pay your employees well you'll have less friction between them.

The benefits are the most extensive I've seen. Took me a while just to figure out what I wanted and didn't want.

Job security - well it's no secret they do layoffs throughout the year - you'd have to be living under a rock to not know that going in.

Work/life balance is excellent. There are times I've had to stay late but they aren't that often and not nearly what I'm used to in my line of work. Most everyone I know leaves on time. Some summers you get to take half days on Friday.

Location is great. If you live east of Dulles you luck out because traffic moves in the opposite direction.

As far as competence goes - like any job you have some that aren't as sharp as others - but overall most people there are hard working and know what they're doing.

The AOL campus is attractive and the work environment is comfortable and spacious.

I'll admit when I was originally approached about working for AOL I was hesitant. Their fall from grace certainly didn't leave a good taste in the mouths of the general public, and frankly who knows what their role is anymore. But, I took a chance and saw what they were doing and what they had to offer and I was impressed. My advice to anyone - if you're offered a job there take it. It may not last forever, but it's experience and you'll learn a lot being there, and you'll make good money doing it.