Employee Review of American Red Cross - Check out more reviews of working at American Red Cross

From St. Louis, MO — 11/02/2008

I'm a part-time college student in a full-time Hospital Courier position for this company.
The pros: Honestly, for my position, things aren't to difficult. The people I normally see are all very friendly and competent about what they do. Using PTO normally isn't an issue and you can max out at around 200 or so hours of it. Not many people will notice if you show up less than 15 minutes late to clock in for the day (or in my case night). IF you have to drive between states (I mainly do), you only have to worry about getting TO your destination, and you can somewhat take your time getting back. Lastly, if things aren't to tight, your schedule rarely changes.

The cons: As a driver for the Red Cross, you'll have to come in NO MATTER how bad the weather gets; mega icy roads, snow, heavy rains, tornadoes, heck, you'll be driving in it and in an everyday minivan or a really rocky Sprinter to boot. It's also up to the weather to determine whether you spend 6, 8, or even 10 hours on the road. So only having to work 8 hours a day isn't guaranteed.

We only have limited drivers at my branch, so if one of us takes off, the others HAVE to fill in, even though other employees/volunteers can do the driving to. For example,sometime ago, one fellow driver was put on the schedule almost DAILY for 2 to 3 WEEKS.

I gave the company a 1 for career growth because as a driver, my branch didn't seem to like the idea of me moving around in the company to much. It didn't get a 0 because there's always several different jobs posted to choose from, but alas, I don't know if they'd even consider me at my current position.

I also gave them a 0 for work/life balance. This is because sometimes the company asks for to much out of me darn well knowing that I already told them I'm a college student. Imagine working the night shift, coming home and waking up at 3 or 4pm in the evening, then going to school within an hour of waking up, only to have to go back to work 1-2 hours after getting out of school. Now imagine that 4 days a week...Yea! TO tight!! So you could see a headache brewing a mile away if your job pushes you to do 5 or 6 days instead of your normal 4...

All in all, I'd say the Red Cross is an OK place to work for. Just don't consider them if you're thinking about school alongside it, because flexibility is a big thing up there.