Employee Review of AFLAC - Check out more reviews of working at AFLAC

From Montgomery, AL — 09/10/2009

I have been an AFLAC agent for about a month now, I've noticed a few patterns that people complain about that I want to clarify. I personally love working for this company; however, it seems I may be one of the few that knew what I was getting into when I started, and was well aware what this job would entail.

Many people say that AFLAC does little to no training. I am a fortunate person that my district coordinator, sits down with for 2 meetings a week to go over products and questions, and I have already made pretty good money due to my support from co-workers and my growing knowledge of the company; however, I am very tired of the pity parties I hear on comments here.

Here are a few points I would like to address - that all agents are made well aware of when they start

1. You are your own boss - this means that you are in charge of your income, and it is technically your responsibility to become knowledgeable about the products. We are not five years old, and no one is going to hold your hand when you are the boss. There may be little direction for many of you, which is unfortunate if your recruiter was not willing to help you much - this is not AFLAC's fault. Just like many companies, there are poor agents, and all agents are individual.

2. This is a commission based job - if you don't put in the hours on your own, you will not make the money you were hoping. if you cold call 2 hours a day - 4 days a week, that's only an 8 hour week. No one said the job force was easy, but you need to work at it to make money

3. This job is ABOUT COLD CALLING - this is no secret - and is never withheld. If you want business, you need to go out an get it. It's tiring to hear people bad mouth AFLAC because its all about cold calling - that's the job description. If you don't like that, that is not the company's fault, it's just not the job for you.

4. YOUR FIRST YEAR WILL BE TOUGH! - as this is a sales position, nothing can be guarenteed. Your first year, and especially first few months, people will not know who you are. You need to make yourself known - continue to follow up as much as possible - keep on a bright smile and keep up conversation. I have been doing this a month - but I do 30-40 cold calls a day - I don't expect money to fall in my lap easy because i'm in sales.

5. RECRUITERS - if you are upset because you feel a sales recruiter was not honest with you about the details about job - unfortunately you are not being very smart. Your SALES recruiter was trying to recruit you. THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE A SALE BY GETTING YOU TO JOIN - it is your responsibility to check to make sure this job is legitimately the one for you - it's no one's fault but your own if you are gullible and think " YAY - i'm in sales, i'm going to make 100000 my first year" - you need to work your way up, and work hard before the easy years come like any normal profession.

No honestly - stop blaming AFLAC because sales was not for you - this company is as great as it is and as big as it is for a reason - yes they tend to overhire - but its all about competition - stop crying because people can sell wherever, and there are too many people in one location. Just make sure that your location is aware of you - and that way, your name will be remembered and be spread to surrounding communities.

FINALLY - IF YOU DON'T LIKE COLD CALLING - DON'T DO INDIVIDUAL AGENT SALES!!