Employee Review of 1-800 CONTACTS - Check out more reviews of working at 1-800 CONTACTS

From Draper, Utah — 07/08/2010

DISCLAIMER - I'm fairly new here at 1-800 CONTACTS, and am a salaried employee (I'm not in the call center) so keep that in mind while reading this review.

PAY: Above average. Contacts is full of talented people and it appears that the company is willing to pay well in order to attract/maintain quality employees.

RESPECT: I was hired to do a specific job, and I'm allowed to do it. My decisions are final and I get all the credit for them - good or bad! Too many bad decisions and I'm probably gone, but if I make good decisions then the sky is the limit around here. Allowing an employee to do his/her job (without mico-managing them) is the greatest indicator of respect to me.

BENEFITS: Almost unbeatable! Every year 1-800 CONTACTS is awarded a "top company to work for" award by the state of Utah. In-house gym with top-notch equipment, personal trainers, personal showers in the locker rooms; game rooms; in-house restaurant that is heavily subsidized (ex: sirloin steak, baked potato and side of veggies will cost you about $2.50) - the menu changes weekly and is always amazing; free breakfast every day; free soda, coffee, juice all day; lots of fun perks (free movie passes, summer/Christmas company parties); on-site eye doctor is free to you and your family; 401-k, Flex spending, tuition reimbursement; company sponsored recreation teams (soccer, volleyball, softball, basketball, etc); inexpensive heath benefits (this is actually my only complaint with Contacts - they go through Humana for their health coverage and Utah is mostly an IHC state - not the most convenient option, in my opinion)

JOB SECURITY: Like I said, I'm new here, but as of now (July 2010) the company is growing and I feel very secure in my position (and that is soooo valuable in the current economy that our nation is in).

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Unbelievable. Not much more to say. When you are at work, you're expected to work, but Contacts understands that you have a life outside of the office and that, from time to time, a little flexibility is needed. Best way to say this, I think, is that Contacts cares more about "output" than "input" - get your job done and nobody will question you if you need to take a half day, or come in a few minutes late/leave early so that you can take care of something personal. Contacts also makes it possible for non-call center employees to work from home if needed.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: As I said earlier, do your job right and the sky is the limit. From what I've gathered in my limited time here, Contacts has very small turnover. Lots of employees with 5+ years experience (not too shabby for a company that's just over 10 years old).

LOCATION: Super easy access that's right off of the Bangerter Highway exit on I-15 in Draper, Utah. From the exit, you can be walking through the front door of the office in about 3-5 minutes. Couldn't be more convenient. Contacts is also located right in between Salt Lake City and Provo and is an easy commute regardless of which valley you live in.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: Top notch. I can't think of a single "slacker" in my entire department. And, everyone that I've dealt with in different departments has been incredibly responsive and helpful.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: Great. Everyone is friendly, helpful and responsive. I've got everything I need to do my job well. Computers are new, company cell phone, quiet office, fantastic conference rooms) - not much to say other than the work environment is fantastic.

OVERALL: Great company to work for. I can't think of anything negative to say? 1-800 CONTACTS really goes out of their way to attract and maintain talented employees. If you're lucky enough to land a job here then you will be well taken care of. Hope this review is helpful.