Working at Rent A Center — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Rent A Center pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Rent A Center

From ca — 04/16/2010

I am amazed at the comments made here. I have been a RAC manager for over 6 years and with RAC for 9 years total. We are given very strict goals for collections and sales but the comments about beating up our customers and illegal things that are asked of our customer account reps is total b.s. My store has been achieving its collections goals for years through clear communication and explanation of our contracts. We have some of the highest customer retention in the business. That being said, RAC is a demanding job with a very long work week, there is little balance between work and home. This is a especially hard job to manage if you have kids. The pay is above average for a retail manager and the benefits are about average for the industry. Also, there is plenty of opportunity for promotion/advancment as RAC only promotes from within the company. No job is perfect ... The stress level is high at RAC and performance demand is through the roof. But if you are ethical and motivated a long rewarding career can be made at RAC....

From Michigan — 03/26/2010

I really enjoyed the nearly 2 years I spent with RAC. My decision to leave was based on raising my newborn daughter, which the (basically) 2nd shift hours would have made very difficult. Like most jobs, your going to have disagreements with co-workers or even management, which I did. BUT, overall I got along great with the others in my store as well as other stores I visited. Its a good, steady job. I was guarenteed over times hours and always knew what my schedule would be. The starting pay (over 10/hour) and raises are very reasonable. The job requirements can be a little risky when dealing with customers in their own homes, but complications can be avoided by treating each customer with respect. The store manager I worked for was amazing. I've never worked for anyone like him. He's a very respectable person that took care of his employees. There are times I wish I could go back to RAC, but I love being a daddy too much. I do highly recommend RAC to people I know. Its a great company to work for.

From new york — 12/02/2009

I have been with the company for almost 10 years and in the business almost 15. I was a manager after 4 years at the job.I can honestly say its a very challenging job, the most important thing is to do the right thing and do not loose your integrity. Follow the programs that are in place and do not stray, the numbers wont always be there, ther will be ups and there will be downs. The company has brought many wonderful things to my life, if you want a challenging job, then RAC is it.

From Arroyo Grande, CA — 09/03/2009

Great pay but the pressure you are under is very intense. Could not take the abuse any longer. Your work life is all that matters and it gives you very little time for a home life...you live, eat, and breathe RAC.

From Lansing, MI — 03/08/2009

I'm fairly new to the company, but I can tell everyone ONE thing: This job isn't for clock-watchers or those that think they can work 9-5 without a Bachelor's degree. You WILL work long days. You WILL be held accountable for hitting company goals and working hard.

Delivering furniture to these places is a hard job. You will work for your paycheck. After a few weeks 10-11 hour days really don't phase you. The only people griping about working for RAC are those that are weak or just wimpy in general.

Right off the bat, at the very lowest level of employment you're making 10+ an hour! With only a high school diploma? Yeah, try finding that elsewhere in this area. Great benefits after only 60 days. 401k matching up to, I believe 4-5%. There's nothing to gripe about in this area.

Remember that you're dealing with people that, by definition, are irresponsible with money. They make god-awful choices and have lousy credit. That's why they have to rent to own. You'll have to track people down, file lawsuits, and repossess merchandise. It's part of the job.

The main thing I've realized is that too many people think there are 1000's of 9-5 Monday-Friday office jobs for every college grad out there. That just isn't the case. If you're willing to work hard, learn everyday, and show up everyday on time you'll be promoted VERY quickly. If you're a clockwatcher that is just trying to pass the time for a paycheck, you're out of luck.

From Dover, Delaware — 01/18/2009

I've been with the company three years now and here is how I see it:

Pay: I started out at entry level,around 28,000 a year, which is great considering that you only need a high school education, a good driving record, and no felonies to work at RAC.

Respect: You get what you give. Sure you will have to deal with some dubious characters sometimes, but most of the customers are awesome people when you get to know them. They are hard working people that may or may not struggle financially. No matter what job you go to you will always have those few knuckle heads that you will have to deal with on a day to day basis.

Benefits: The Benefits are good compared to other employers. They really take care of you in that area. The 401k is something good to get into...its like giving yourself a raise because of the company match.

Job Security: If you come to work on time, work hard, and truly want to succeed, among other things like having integrity you will never have to worry about not having a job.

Work/Life Balance: There is none. You will work 48 hrs a week starting out and as you move up in the company the hours will increase. This is due in large part to the fact that a typical store will have 4 to 6 employees. So as soon as you start you are a huge part of the team. This job is not for the weak at heart, nor for the people who love to party every night. If you have a family it will suck. You work every Saturday, But you will ALWAYS have Sundays off as well as one other weekday.( Usually a Tues., Wed. or Thur.) until you get to the store manager level, then you are married to the store.

Career Potential/Growth: Its unlimited. The CEO of our company started at the bottom. If anyone tells you otherwise they just weren't that good. I was with the company a year and a half before I got my first store. (and yes I started at the bottom) Just like anything else, you get what you put into it. If you are complaining about the hours, complaining about the customers, complaining, complaining, complaining....you won't go anywhere but out the door!

Location: We have 3,000 stores.....there's always one nearby

Co-worker Competence: This is largely based off of the leadership in the store and District Manager level. It will vary from store to store and market to market. As a manager you will get out of your employees what you put into them. I've seen both ends of the spectrum.

Work Environment: As I said earlier, this job is not for the weak at heart. If you have been pampered all of your life and fed with a silver spoon this probably isn't the job for you. You will work hard. You will work long hours. You will have to deal with some customers that will challenge your patience in every manner of the word, BUT it is a very rewarding job. I've run more than one store, mainly going in as a "firefighter" cleaning up the mess that a previous manager left behind. However, due to keeping a postive attitude ( which is so extremely important in this business) I have come out on top and have been very successful and with a happy staff every time. You will really become a family in your store ( mainly due to the large amount of time you will get to spend with one another =) You will have some disagreements, you will have some victories, and you will have some defeats (just hopefully not to many....=)
Please don't listen to all of the horror stories that are out there. Rent A Center has hundreds of thousands of great customers and thousands of great employees. Don't let the stories of a few bad customers and employees that we have had in the past (or are currently weeding out) ruin your opinion of an excellent company!

From NY — 10/10/2006

Nice company. Good pay and you don't feel negated. This place has potential.