Working at Red Robin — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Red Robin pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Red Robin

From Southern California — 09/03/2010

I have been with RR for almost a month now. I am on my 3rd week of my 5 day training ! Today I did my GEMs and I failed cause I didn't ask if one table wanted more fries and I didn't ask how a specific food was when I did my check back.

Personally, for a place that is just "burgers and fries", as it has been put to me by one of the managers, this company is really a bit over the top ( was gonna say anal) about 30 seconds this and 2 minutes that.

My training has been spread out with 1 day this week, 2 the next week, etc., and now it will prob be another 5 days before I can re-take my GEMS again !

I am a good server. I have been serving for almost 10 years now and this training has me considering going into something a bit less precise, like maybe brain surgery or rocket building !

My trainer was not the best that I could have had. She was more concerned with finishing the written portions so she could get on the floor and make tips than she was in training me. I didn't even know what glasses the drinks came in until I went to the mixo and asked him !

There is way too much emphasis on the timing thing. If the product is quality and the service is good, I really do not see a guest getting up and leaving cause their drink came out in 2 min34 seconds as opposed to 2 min exactly !

I am going to give this GEMS thing one more shot. If I don't get it I will seriously have to consider finding a new job ! When (if) I do pass, I am going to be RR extrodinaire and become a CDT. Then maybe when it's my turn to train, I will do it knowing the mistakes MY trainer made with me and NOT pass them on to the next person !

From San Diego, CA — 01/14/2010

I'll start by saying I have worked for Red Robin for about 3 1/2 years total, in two different states and in a franchise owned and corporate owned stores. With all restaurants, you have to consider how good of a server you are. The better you are, the better tips you make, they better your experience is. I have also worked at many other restaurants in my life and by FAR, Red Robin is the best. I have read the other reviews and some sound like a bitter employees who don't do their work. Or, they may have had a bad experience, it is totally possible that Red Robin was not for them.
First, you have to understand, Red Robin is a culture. It's a culture of working hard, having fun and being unbridled everyday. If you don't buy into that, you will not like working for Red Robin. If you do buy into that, everything else will fall in place.
RESPECT: I have always been respected at RR and never felt less than anyone. I would encourage those who do feel disrespected to go straight to their Regional Manager.
BENEFITS: RR does have decent benefits, but you do have to work there for a minimum amount of time and average a minimum number of hours per week to be eligible. I have never used them.
JOB SECURITY: Again, this depends on you. If you are late, have a crappy attitude or just don't care, you probably wont be there long. But that's a good thing- it's the customer service industry. If you owned the company would you want these people representing your brand?
WORK/LIFE BALANCE: RR does an awesome job at this. They have worked around my husband's hours and my school schedule.
CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: RR almost always promotes from within. One of the executives of RR started as a dishwasher. enough said.
LOCATION: RR's are always in a prime location.
CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: I will admit, this is the one section RR could improve on.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: I love working here because of the atmosphere! Its just a fun place!

From columbus,oh — 11/11/2009

I have been working for Red Robin for many years now. I loved it when I first started. The people were great. Now it seems as though the managers could care less about the employees as long as they are making their money. They only tell you want you want to here so you will go away. If their is a problem with an employee they just take you off the schedule and never give you a reason why. This has never happened to me, but it bothers me that they want the culture to be good yet they don't live by it. The ONLY reason I continue to work here is because I do make very good money at this location.

From Pensacola, Florida — 04/06/2009

I'm part opf the original team for the new Red Robin here in Pensacola, FLA, and I have to say that everything is pretty sweet. I never work less than 25 hours a week and I never make less than $55 in tips per shift. I'm averaging around $120 per shift since we opened on March 16, 2009. The pay is pretty good, and with good reason I suppose. The Pensacola RR broke the weekly and hourly sales records for the company within the first two weeks. Not bad at all, eh? There is definitely job security for those of us who aren't incredibly stupid, which is 98% of us thankfully. We're always busy busy busy and I don't know anyone working there now who isn't making a ton of money. Business still has yet to actually slow down since we've opened, but that's a good thing too! There is definitely room for our personal lives here and shifts are easy to swap and give away and acquire, and the management is especially amazing at working with requested time off and emergencies and stuff. Really great management we have here! Our mixos have yet to build a bad reputation for themselves, in fact, we love our mixos with the exception of one guy who is just terribly aggravating! Location is good. We're in a mall and we have mall access and outside access from the restaurant. We're next to a Macaroni Grill and a few other places, but we're definitely the most popular! :] Work environment could use some changes, especially in organization!!! Also, we always and forever have guests complaining about the noise level on the floor and I really think that needs to be changed too. Other than the few small things, Red Robin is definitely a great place to work, and the money you make depends on your attitude. If you're nice, everyone will be nice to you and you'll make good money and co-workers will want to help you out. A few of us have a known policy with our bussers and our mixos, and that is we will take care of them if they take care of us, and since we brought it up to them, we get taken care of. :] Red Robin for thr win!

From Phoenix, Arizona — 03/12/2009

The pay varies greatly depending on which day, shift, and section you have since you mainly only make tips. I started at 2.13 an hour; minimum wage has gone up a few times and I became a CDT (Certified Designated Trainers make .25 more) so now I am at 4.50. Paychecks are usually around $30 every 2 weeks, so obviously you don't live off of that.
Respect is great for me, I don't ever feel I'm not being listened to.
Work/Life Balance is awesome, it's so flexible. I've been working at Red Robin the whole time I've been in college, almost 4 years now and it is so easy to have a shift covered if I need more time for homework. Trading shifts and picking some up also come easy. The managers almost always give you what you request off, if they forget they fix it and get you covered.
Career potential is iffy for me, it seems you can become a manager pretty easily, I just hardly meet people who want to.
Location was perfect, 3 miles from home.
Most people were smart, some were not. Those who are not very smart don't last that long anyway.

From Owings Mills, MD — 02/21/2007

Not a bad company to work for. It just depends on where your working at and who your managers are. Pay sucks cuz its either minimum wage for bartenders or for servers its what the state says (MD is 2.83/hr I believe) but its up to you on how big of tips you get. The atmosphere is pretty fun and laid back. Having to sing birthday songs in the middle of when your really busy SUCKS and it gets annoying. Management is screwy. How can a spanish kid go from being a dishwasher to an assistant manager in about 2 years and make more than mid managers who have been there for 4+ years??? Good for him, but for company policy because like any other restaurant, there is drama and gossip like you wouldn't believe. Its a shame there is no 18% gratuity included. Maybe franchises have it, but corporate will never. The location of this restaurant sucks because the area is getting G-H-E-T-T-O as anything. The whole Baltimore area is getting bad. Probably a better choice to work at new RR opening up because its going to be BUSY! Probably a good stock to buy into as well. Basically, if you like having fun and are pretty loose and open to different people, you'll have fun and make money too. Mmmm, those fry fills...really good good good burgers too, thats for sure.