Working at Red Lobster — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Red Lobster pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Red Lobster

From Grand Forks, ND — 08/25/2010

I can't speak for all stores but RL0641 is a great place to work!

I worked there as a server for 3 years and had a good income that was really in my own hands. If I needed more money, I picked up a Friday or Saturday dinner shift and had another $150 in 6 hours. I always felt very valued and respected as an employee and relied on excellent teamwork from my coworkers. My management addressed any concerns immediately and took an interest in my personal success there.

I recommend this Red Lobster!

From Houston, Tx — 02/08/2010

I've worked at quite a few Red lobstersand I actually dont have alot of bad things to say about them. Yoiur work day experience is pretty much up to you. They are very flexible with shifts and you only work 4 to 5 hours a shift depending on your schedule, and you make good money. I loved it

From harrisburg pa — 01/14/2010

I had really great, nice and funny managers. they worked with my school schedule and with my externship hours. there was a lot of drama with the workers and the servers hated the hosts and always started crap. the managers didnt do anything about it. when they would hire they had to be ok looking and really outgoing, so we hardly hired anyone. they are very picky on raises and and how much you get. you only get an increase on your year and 2 years and so on. it was always busy and 3 out of the 5 managers never helped us out, made us do everything on our own.

From North Olmsted, OH — 06/22/2009

Pay: I was a server and I USUALLY made good money...we were busy almost every night.

Respect: The managers were nice but we reall fake. It seemed like they only acted like they cared but really didn't.

Benefits: I didn't have benefits so I have no idea what their benefit program was like.

Job Security: There didn't seem to be any risk of being fired unless you screwed up horribly. I only worked there for about 6 months and I was never in trouble or at risk of being fired (not that I know of at least).

Work/Life Balance: There is none! They schedule you crazy hours that don't allow for you to do anything but work. Also, when I worked there, you would be scheduled for a time to come in, but no time to go home. Or if you did have a scheduled time to go home, you could only leave if they weren't busy! Sometimes I would be there until 12 am finishing up all of my side work.

Career Potential/ Growth: I'm sure you could probably move up after working there for 10+ years. The person who trained me had worked as a server for like 6 yrs and was just now a "server trainer" which is basically a glorified server so what does that tell you?

Location: The location was good...not too far from my house. There was one closer to my house but it was less busy than the one I worked at.

Co-worker Competence: Pretty much everyone I worked with was really nice and helpful. I got along with everyone.

Work Environment: The work environment was sometimes okay but I normally couldn't stand being there. The only thing that was good about it was that I made good tips and my coworkers were nice...that was IT! They make you do a ridiculous amount of side work and just basically boss you around and then get mad when you ask a question. The GM and one other manager were cool but the other(s) weren't. If you're a server just know that at the end of the night they go around with a FLASH LIGHT to make sure you got every single last crumb out from underneath your tables...talk about ridiculous!!

Overall, I did not like working here. It was sometimes okay but that was just because I liked most of the people I worked with. You make good tips overall but basically have to sacrifice all of your social life to do it.

From Morgantown, WV — 06/10/2009

The pay is fairly decent, I work as a host, and althought the manager had a "mistake" and started hiring the new people at nine dollars instead of eight like the others get, it's fair. As far as respect goes, the "fab four" or the (Hosts, Bussers, Take Out (when it's not the bar), and Silverware Rollers....yes all the same people) don't really recieve any...we do everything in the restaurant. We seat the servers who complain when they get sat, because they want to get "cut" earlier, but yet they complain when they don't make money. When you bus, most of the servers are fairly helpful with pre-bussing and often times helping you bus or already having their table done, but there are some servers who are completely incompetent, when they know a busser is on they don't do anything, ANYTHING. The managers are a bit crazy, but in a good way...it keeps us entertained and it keeps an upbeat atmosphere. This restaurant has only been opened since February 23rd and I've been there ever since. I don't really know much about the benefits....i didn't really read up on it. Job Security is good cause they always have you doing many other things as a host, i've washed the dishes, did prep work, made salads, baked a little, and did Alley Coordnating and I enjoyed working in those areas. Work/Life balance, I only have two complaints...the first is how the schedule is set up because it only has a start time....you are cut when the manager tells you to go home...so you can't really do anything planned. my other complaint is that the Managers get the schedule to you the Sunday (of the scheduled week) so you can't make any plans that way either. Career Potential/Growth....i really haven't paid much attention to it...the managers like when you do a great job and take great care of the guests. Location is great, it's on the hill at the University Town Centre right beside two of Darden's other restraunt brands, Olive Garden and Longhorn. Red Lobster actually shares the parking lot with Olive Garden so parking can sometimes be a headache. Co-worker competence, I feel that I talked a little about that above, some people are smart and helpful and really nice, but some are just retarted and shouldn't even be working there. The managers are constantly telling them things and they don't comprehend it. I find myself often doing the stuff they should be doing because the manager has asked them to do or not to do something and they either don't do what they are asked or they continue to do the wrong thing. The Work environment is good too... the Managers are always in a good mood and that often rubs off on the employees and it allows our GSS Scores to be higher because we do a great job.

From Bel Air, MD — 11/22/2008

Red Lobster is an average restaurant to work for. I have been there for over three years, beginning as a hostess, and now working as a server. For hourly employees, at my restaurant anyway, the pay is competitive. Hosts start around $8/hr and bartenders tend to make $10/hr plus tips. Job security is not an issue whatsoever--do your job and they'll be thrilled to hold onto you as long as possible. The turnover rate is high in service jobs, so they're more lenient with people than they make themselves out to be. If you've never worked in a restaurant, it's important to know how much it blows not having your weekends (because that's the only time you really make money), and never knowing when you're going to go home (we get cut when business slows down and then have to finish out our tables, clean our tables, and do closing work). Along with this, we make a little over $3/hr as servers, so when we're slow... that could be as much as you make. If you're sick... you don't get any kind of sick leave, so you just make nothing for however long you're out. Granted, I personally average about $15/hr in tips on weekends, $10/hr in tips on nights, $8/hr in tips during weekdays. During our busiest months (winter), I have taken home about $800 in tips for working 40 hours, plus having made $120 in base pay. Health insurance through the company sucks. Hours are very tedious in a restaurant and if you get below 35 I believe, it gets yanked from you. I personally do not have it, but I've heard that it sucks. They do not pay for it. We do not really get benefits. One thing that is pretty cool about this company though is their paid vacation policy. At your first and second year anniversary, you get one week's paid vacation, after three years, you get two weeks' paid vacation. They calculate how much of your tips you claim to the government, and give you how much you average in a week or two, and you get your check which usually averages less than $20 after taxes... and suddenly you have an extra $600 or more in your pocket! As for co-worker competence... I'm sure that it depends on the restaurant you're working in... but about 95% of employees, including our managers, only have a high school diploma. It's the case at every restaurant, and Red Lobster is no different, you *will* be working with a lot of very dumb people, some stoners, some drug dealers, a lot of Hispanic people, and a ton of 20-year-old single moms.

Bottom line, I have liked Red Lobster over the time I've been there. It's an awesome job for a student. You get very flexible hours, can always switch shifts, pick up shifts, or give them away as your schedule may require. You can work just 20 hours a week and walk with $400 *in CASH*. This restaurant has some of the highest checks (most expensive) I've seen for a non-gourmet restaurant, and our servers tend to make more than at a lot of other restaurant around. I feel really bad for the people who have to work in a restaurant for their entire life, but you can support a family on this money. It's just hard to do. Despite this, I would, and do, recommend this job to anyone with enough confidence, competency, energy, and people skills to get the job done.