Working at recreational equipment inc. — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about recreational equipment inc. pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at recreational equipment inc.

From Multiple locations, Multiple states — 08/20/2009

REI strives to be a a good employer and do what is right for their employees. Depending on where you are within the organization hierarchy can determine how good you actually have it. If you are in middle or upper management, you have good job security, a decent wage, good benefits and work/life balance in your life. This is especially true when you consider this is retail management. Management can have its down sides as well. You have to be available to work 7 days a week during any operating hours, and upward mobility slows down drastically if you want to move beyond Assistant Store Manager. Be prepared to have your hand held as this is a company that has a culture of micromanagement and pays lip service to the creativity and trying new ideas.

Sales staff can be viewed as somewhat of a different animal within the organization and job security can be serious issue since REI stores will schedule staff based on performance and business need. This means that you may have committed open availability with the understanding that you are hired for full time hours, but if the business level drops, or you performance is subpar in the eyes of your direct supervisor, you will fast find yourself losing hours and the benefits that come with working the "full time" hours. While pay is on par with what you find with other many retailers, the average sales specialist make considerably less than the 22000 that is stated for the company on Forbes "Top 100 companies to work". This is because the average sales specialist that holds this position as their primary job, will average far less than 40 hours a week. The sales specialist position is best seen as a part time job for outdoors folks who need a little supplementary income and would like to work in outdoors store with the gear discounts. It will be very hard for the average person to find dependable long term work by which to support themselves.
Finally your managers will set the tone for your store. Great managers will make you working at that store awesome while poor managers will make the experience very unpleasant. Co-worker and manager competence at the store level is not very consistent and therefore warrants a -1 in my ratings. Hopefully you get to work for a competent management team.

From ca — 09/24/2008

I am a manager at REI and can say that it is a pretty good job. However, my boss is HORRIBLE and before transferring into her department, I really enjoyed my job. Now, I am afraid to go to work and am walking on eggshells anytime she is around. There is little, if any, recognition and when I do something she doesn't like you would think the world was coming to an end. She has issues with most of the staff and generally, everyone keeps their distance from her and tries not to step on her feet. REI is such a great company with so many wonderful perks and benefits. It is a shame that a person like this is allowed to continue being so awful and in my opinion she should have been let go many years ago. Unfortunately, I am looking for another job because I can't stand working for a person like her.

I would like to say that as a manager for REI, the work/life balance isn't what it should be. For my employees it is, but not for those of us in management positions. The hours are like any other retailer and getting time off can be a real issue. I work almost every Saturday and Sunday and it is very rare that I have two days off in a row. Most of the time I am so tired on my days off from working so much, I just sleep. It isn't worth the pay and exhaustion.

The discounts are awesome and for the most part the customers are fantastic. I believe that REI has an outstanding training program for both sales associates and management. They really want their employees to believe in and understand the product they are selling.

If you work full-time the benefits are SUPER and this will be one of the unfortunate losses when I find another job.

My store manager is great and I already feel bad about leaving because he has been respectful, helpful and supportive, even when my current ASM is so terrible. I will miss him.

From hingham, ma — 07/03/2008

This is a great work environment. Everyone is willing to help each other out - including the entire group of managers. The pay isn't great, but it is retail. Working here makes me feel like I am part of a team. People I work with truly care about the customers that are in the store. That's a rarity in retail. I wish I could make more money and be abel to support myself working in this environment. REI is a different type of company, it's something I didn;t experience in my last retail job. I highly recommend it.

From ca — 02/22/2007

Overall it's not a bad company to work for as long as you don't expect to support yourself off of it. A couple complaints I have, though, is that 1) the managers (not supervisors) seem to favor the people who suck up. Performance doesn't really matter, but sucking up helps a lot. 2) Pay is not that great for the sales people, but again, I don't think you take this job to support yourself. Sure you can try to make a career out of it, but unless you're willing to kiss ass, goodluck with that, even if you do work hard. Now for the good stuff, 1) discounts are awesome, which again, if you take this job part time, it works out pretty great 2) the work environment is pretty relaxed and you have some great co-workers. 3) work life balance is good, but when you're working another job full-time and this job part-time, it really matters more on your ft position than this one. Overall, great part-time work, can never see how anyone can do it full-time, especially for the pay.