Working at Reckitt Benckiser — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Reckitt Benckiser pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Reckitt Benckiser

From UK — 09/21/2010

Someone told me to go and have a look at this site and the comments written about Reckitt Benckiser. Honestly, I think some people are somewhat naive about what other companies are like. Yes you have to work hard here, yes it's tough at times but for me that's what I love. And compared to some companies I've worked at before (and there's been a few) this is a million times the best place I've worked. It's fun, hard work and the environment is good. I've had opportunties to do things I would have never got to do anywhere else. My current boss has given me the chance to progress and really made me push myself. And the vast vast majority of people I work with / deal with are really good, nice people. No it's true we don't all sit round chatting or going out every night together but that's not really the point here. And one last thing - the grass is almost certainly not greener over the other side of the fence..... I've been there

From Slough — 09/19/2010

I was browsing and saw this site and was shocked by the last comment here. It gives a really warped view of somebody who is unhappy and should probably go and work somewhere more suitable for them. I have fun everyday at RB and I am not a 23 year old. It probably isn't the place for everybody, but no place is. If you like freedom in your work, a quick pace, much less politics than many places then this is for you. You need to be a self starter, but I like that. There are also lots of different people from all over the world in the Slough sites which is nice. People are really bright and good to be around.

It's a lot of work, but so is everywhere these days. Work life balance can be managed if you take control and are efficient and you can do that. I don't see people working really late like they do in the centre of London. I've been here three years now and will definately be staying. You have got to chose sensibly and know who you are and what motivates you. It's no use moaning if you have chosen a place that isn't right for you - just move on and go somewhere that is more suited to you.

Unlike many places I think everybody is very clear on the culture and if it suits you you'll have a great time.

From Slough — 11/02/2009

Excellent opportunity to run with ideas that you generally don't get in other organisations (I know, I've worked in a lot). Rather than spend months talking about something and then deciding it's too risky or too expensive at RB it's more a case of OK, lets do it but can you get it done in a week and for half the price?

I find it amusing that someone below complained about the company being focused on profit growth - what else do you think businesses operate for? I for one feel good that I'm working for a company who is still doing well during the recession rather than being scared for my job every day.

Granted, this is the hardest I've ever had to work. Extraordinarily high expectations and tight focus on low costs means I've been pushed to my limit more times than I care to mention, but once you get through it it's really satisfying to see what you achieved. And as others have mentioned, if you achieve you are rewarded well. There is the opportunity to travel quite a lot and to move internationally with promotions which works for some and not others. I say bring it on, but then I don't have kids.

I can't speak for other teams but my team and others I've interacted with have been supportive enough. There are some hard-nosed people around and even some idiots but show me a workplace where that is not the case?? I've also met some of the most passionate and clever people here, and I really like the international nature of head office.

So overall, it's not an easy place to work but the opportunities you get and things you learn are worth it for me at this point in time.

From Slough — 10/17/2009

Pay is above industry average to attract people and top 400 are seriously remunerated with excellent benefits others a (lot) less so - seriously bonus orientated. Respect varies my manager, co-workers and dept - for me at the moment it is good, for others not as much (got a friend that HATES everyone around them) - but if you are good, hard working and get results you get respect - if not you don't get much and sacked. Job security? Not here. You get results and work hard you stay. The moment you do not get results they drop you - does not matter if you performed excellently for 10\15 years and then have a bad year - you go - they do have a policy of telling people they go and they get a few minutes to get their things and leave.

No work \ life balance although I have met mothers here that have actually managed to balance it (go home, be with kids, as soon as they are asleep the emails start!) ! Most people work all hours, 12 hours a day does not seem strange - and I rarely get surprise anymore at having emails at 4 in the morning, 12 at night and all hours of the weekend. If you are prepared to work your ass off, are good and can move location to different continents at the drop of a hat then you have a better chance for career growth - if not you might as well forget about it...top 400 tend to do well, others less so.

Reckitt work on saving money, so most locations in world wide are in cheap uninspiring places (except Barcelona in the city centre?? How did that happen??) Slough office is next to M4, A4 and so good enough to get to, rail station about 20 minutes away and they have some drivers to drop you at the airport.

Most people at reckitt are good - mostly because if you are not they get rid of you..quickly!! Top 400 mostly competent, others OK. Work environment OK, very corporate in slough but the other building they have in slough is not bad with more space (but bad parking). Food is OK, worse in the other mini slough office. As in most fmcg firms, get free drinks, get to travel and a good variety of international co-workers at slough. What you don't get at other fmcg firms is to present directly to bart - the ceo. Seeing him in action, I would say is worth what he gets paid - he knows his detail so know your stuff before presenting to him! Micro-management seems to be one way to help you develop, so I don't mind it AFTER seeing the effect of it on me (at first was a bit annoyed with it, OK after a while).

General career progression for top 400 is to come from P&G \ top fmcg firms \ top consulting \ top business school degree into slough and maybe another job before moving to country and then back and forth between the two. Yes some arseholes, but you also get a few top people. Luck of the draw if you get a good team \ boss. Most who leave (after working in reckitt for a good few years) tend to do well.

SUMMARY: if you are good, can work all hours of the day and move with less than a months notice a good place for career development and if in top 400 some excellent benefits. If you want work life balance, hate micro-management, can't stand arrogance and aggression in work place as well as the fact that everyone looks after themselves DO NOT EVEN think about it. Good company to get money and progress career in your 30's if you don't have kids.

Note: This is from a head office slough perspective and from someone who has contact with top 400.

From Springfield MO — 02/11/2009

It is some what hard to rate this company in Springfield, because we have two sites here. They are day and night. I am now at the plant, our new manager is great. We just had a meeting with him this morning, he actually lets other people speak. Now when you cross the railroad tracks is when work becomes almost hopeless. If there were a award for the most Micro-managed warehouse, it would win hands-down every time. I miss some of the Team Resource Managers over there, but not enough to go back.

From Slough — 05/28/2008

Overall good prospects with fair pay, but you need to be able to work hard and be able to stand a corporate environment.

Get the right boss and work in the right team and it is OK. Pay is descent and you get good enough respect from peers and some management. Not the worst company for work life balance (quiet periods lesser management go by 6) but excellent potential for career growth - be that within the company or external - if you get into the top 400 club, then they will move you around into a number of different roles, some highly likely to be international. Still, is in Slough, but not central Slough so only a few minutes off the M4 and people are OK. Work environment is OK but very corporate and can be very, very quiet in the main building which also has a gym and free soft drinks. Car parking can be an ass sometimes as larger spaces are needed. Also very multi-national with people from Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy, Turkey, Mexico, India, France, Australia, UK, Poland, etc which is nice to see.