Working at Raytheon — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Raytheon pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Raytheon

From Andover MA — 03/29/2010

I would say Raytheon was a great company to work for except that after working there 6 months I was laid-off . I left a decent job to go to Raytheon , but when I got there there was really no job for me. The management or should I say lack of management amazed me . No one had a clue ! It was defenitly the blind reading to the deaf ! I don't know how this company stays in buisness or produces anything .

From USA — 02/05/2010

Pay: The pay here is really competitive. Make sure to get your salary initially adjusted because annual raises are usually in the 3% range. If you are promoted you typically get about 7-10%. They also have performance sharing which is usually approximately 3% of your annual pay. In addition they have various incentive awards that you can get. However these are usually only doled out to brown nosers and people who make slide shows and present to the customer (i.e. not the people who do the actual work).

Respect: The average age of an engineer at Raytheon is in their early 50's. They tend to be extremely conservative. If you don't fit these criteria you aren't going to fit in very well. They love pushing their political beliefs onto you at meetings (very unprofessional), in emails (on the company email account), or in stickers and posters found hanging in their office or the wall. They also have a company PAC which they encourage you to donate to. If you are to the left of Barry Goldwater you will find yourself constantly the target of verbal attacks.

Benefits: The benefits at Raytheon are outstanding. They provide a generous amount of tuition reimbursement. Enough to take 2-3 classes a year without paying out of pocket (assuming a private university). They have advanced scholarship programs where they will actually pay you to go to school (along with covering the tuition in total). They have a great relocation package. They will put you up in an extended stay hotel for a few months while you look for an apartment or house. They will pay the renters fees and also will pay to have someone show you the town. They assist with closing costs and selling your house. They also have discounted gym memberships etc... Very competitive.

Job Security: You cannot get fired from Raytheon. There is just no way. When you are a subpar worker, they just transfer you to a new group/project. There are lifers here who have done literally nothing their whole career. When you are in the defense industry not much is really expected out of you. The company gets paid by the amount of people they have working on a program. So even if there is no work, you will still just sit there because they are getting paid handsomely for you to do so. If you aren't there, no pay.

Work/Life Balance: Raytheon is great for work life balance. They have the 9/80 schedule (work 9 hours a day, 8 hours one Friday, and then get off the next Friday). Its awesome to get every other Friday off. If you do work overtime, which is rare, they have to pay you because you are a government contractor. So while your buddies are working 50-60 hours a week and not getting paid for it, you can sit back and rake in the dough.

Career Potential/Growth: If you come in as an entry level engineer you should be promoted within two years of joining the company. Then on average you are promoted again sometime in the next three years. After that the promotions tend to happen at a slower pace. If you don't get into one of the leadership tracks, you'll pretty much tread water for most of your career. The "leaders" in Raytheon tend to be the least technically proficient but the best at delivering slide show presentations. Then you've achieved a "milestone". You can usually get promoted faster if you leave the company for a few years and then come back. Usually you'll be promoted up a few grades and get much larger pay raises then if you had stayed on. It's not really a fair system, but its how it is.

Location: Raytheon is all over the world. Some locations have better job prospects than others. Since each location is assigned work from a particular contract, if the contract is lost, so is your job. In this case you can move around if you can find work within the company elsewhere.

Co-worker Competence: There are some truly brilliant engineers (10%). There are some functional engineers (40%). Then there are some really lazy and bad engineers (50%). I think this is due to the fact that there is an extreme amount of nepotism in hiring decisions (good luck getting in if you don't have family already on the inside) and because they refuse to fire people. Additionally, since they get paid by the head, there is no incentive to weed out the weak engineers.

Work Environment: The work environment is not the best. As stated previously the workers here tend to skew much older than average (50+) and tend to like to push their beliefs down your throat at every opportunity. If you are not more militant than Clausewitz you probably won't like it here. The people here love war, it makes them money. The ironic thing is that most of the engineers have never served in the military. Its annoying when some nerd talks about wiping this country or that off the map. Maybe they would be less glib if they had actually served.

Overall its a mixed bag. I would say that the money, work/life, benefits, and location are all well above average. I would say that respect, competence, and environment are below average.

From Tucson, AZ — 02/05/2010

This is a good company overall. Like any company of this size, ensuring that you have truly great people in every key position is impossible. There will be good and bad. Overall, I think the company tries very hard to give people the opportunities to be their best, and contribute at the highest level they are capable of.

Work / life balance is great, as are the training opportunities.

From McKinney, Tecas — 07/15/2009

Well Well if you really want to know about Raytheon either start with some other company and join Raytheon or leave Raytheon and compare it. Lots of talented people in Raytheon. Offcourse you should not expect to design some circuit within 2 years of employment. What I liked about Raytheon is that the managers really push you for Graudate studies. Try that with other employers and you will see the results. If you got security clearance and exposed to classified programs, your employement is actually secured. Since Raytheon work is unique and their business style is different than Boeing and Lockheed, I do not see layoff in Raytheon as compared to others. One of my friend is working in some utility company and he is paying 50% more than what I am paying for Healthcare costs. He said that his prescription coverage is not good as mine. Another best thing which I liked about Raytheon is Flex Schedule. You do not find this in companies anymore. In companies like Lockheed, you got to use your vacation time, if something important comeup. I do not know why people complain about Raytheon. Either they do not know the over all working culture or they are just recruited by competitors to spread rumors about Raytheon.

From Andover, Ma — 08/27/2008

They are 18 months behind most "trends" and join the band wagon as soon as something is being universally mocked. Like ISO 9000, CMMI, casual Fridays. It is a huge company and you can get lost. Unless you are a self-starter, you will get bored.

From USA — 08/19/2008

Compared to previous employers, this position has been great. It's good to feel like a contributing member, and I've been lucky to be part of a great group. It's not always easy, but the learning has both beneficial and enjoyable. Being referred there by a friend was the best career move to date.

From Philadelphia — 08/19/2008

I love working for this company. My previous manager left to go work for his brother's accounting firm as the chief of staff, but I learned a lot from him, prior to him leaving. It was in a great location, and the pay and benefits are great. I have the best group of co-workers.

From Portsmouth RI — 03/24/2008

Never work there again! I took this job with a 15,000 a year paycut from the DC area to live in a less populated area. Nice area to live without the traffic issues of DC. They helped move me here and laid me off after 9 months later with 50 other employees. No other good paying jobs in the area, so now I have to move. Raytheon only gave me a one hour notice before I walked out the door. They only gave me two weeks of pay, I lost my 401K match and not to add all the cost I will have to move some where else during a bad housing market. They sure know how to mistreat people at Raytheon. They don't care about there work force and are even more dysfuntional then government. Higher up workers are suckups!

From Waltham, Sudbury and — 09/27/2007

I got hired at Microwave Power and Tube, Waltham. Worked there for two years and got bumped to Sudbury. Doing alright at Sudbury. Until I got bumped to Quincy. I drove 120 miles everyday! Finally got laid off. I was happy I didn't have to endure the driving any more! What really sucked about Raytheon was the way they treated their engineers. (I wasn't an engineer.) Here's people with Masters and other high degrees, being crapped on everyday. The bottom line? Starting pay sucks, for hourly. You don't know how long this crap company will keep you. And the union is selling its memebers down the river every contract. (That's the case in Massachusetts.) Raytheon tends to buyout other companies and cry poverty at contract time. Coworkers are cool. Very little snitching going on.