Work at Railcrew Xpress — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Railcrew Xpress pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Railcrew Xpress

From North Little Rock Ar — 11/04/2008

They pay us by the hour. Not much more than minimum wage. They tell people they pay more to get them to work at least till the 1st paycheck. Then they short your hours. They do not pay overtime even for in state drivers. They have had to call a cab company several times to take or go get the crews because they didn't have enough employees. Union Pacific calls and wants to know why they got vans sitting there but no drivers. I feel sorry for the rail-road employees as they have to stay on the trains sometimes for a long time after they "Hog' out. Turnover is HIGH. They have some really great people working there and I enjoy working with them. The work environment is OK but I dont like having to keep proof that I worked so I can re-claim the hours later. Career potential/ growth is great because of the fast turnover. It seems like they try to keep the vans safe but are awaiting new vans sometime in the future. I have heard that these are going to be mini-vans. A lot of the rail-road workers are some pretty large people. With 4 (if they fit) and their gear in a mini van, this seems like it wouldnt be too safe. I dont know what the weight limit on mini-vans are. Managers are seldom seen. Job security is great as they need anyone with a beating heart.

From BILL WY — 10/13/2008

Where to start. I am not an employee of railcrew but an observer, and in the last 2 weeks I watched an Area Manager work her but off and haul crews and handle a complete room change for 40 employees into 15 rooms. She did an excellent Job and I was very sad to see her go. Wish she could have stayed, If every one would work together and help each other things would go alot smoother.

From Texas — 08/22/2008

I love working for railcrew, but lots of things I would love to change but such is life right??? If you do your job, listen to your crew you will do great.

From Lenexa, KS — 08/09/2008

Pay: Very competitive. $12/hr to start with, more if you have experience. People with MBA's are working this job. Just goes to show how far down this country is slipping.

Respect: Do your job, don't be stupid and everything's gravy.

Benefits: Deplorable, anyone who actually read the policy with two braincells to rub together would realize it's just not worth it.

Job Security: The railroad isn't going anywhere, but who knows about crew hauling? MPV also makes dispatch seem like an endangered species.

Work/Life Balance: Forget it. 12.25 hour days plus commute time? Forget it.

Career Potential/Growth: See "Job Security" & "Respect." If you're half way competent and the INDUSTRY is going anywhere, so will you.

Location: Brand new office park by a lake with a track around it. It's very nice.
The drivers have it bad, there's no denying it. But those in dispatch (where I work)have it GOOD. In these troubled times where else will give you 42 hours a week to work? In a brand new office complex no less? Sure, you're either going to, coming from or at work for 13 or 14 hours a day, but that's what you signed up for. No one's being lied to at dispatch.

The only problems are 1.) Management Incompetence. This isn't really their fault, with the huge amount of policy changes that come down from Scott, John & Herb it's difficult for anyone to keep everything in mind at all times. 2.) Co-Worker Incompetence. They really scraped the bottom of the barrel on this one. Seriously, I can see why the Renz got rid of some of these people.

From bridgeport — 07/11/2008

It's great

From des moines iowa — 05/19/2008

working in Des Moines is not bad if u don't want to work for this company all i have to say is quit bitchin and QUIT

From Springfield, MO — 03/12/2008

Having just started a few weeks ago, I find the work enviroment adequate, my major complaint is with pay, busted trips, and lack of pay for being at there beck and call 24 hours 6 days a week. Most reputable companies pay on-call pay to keep people available and ready at anytime. Sounds like wage and hour have there hands full, perhaps it's time for a driver revolt, and a class action lawsuit????