Work at RadioShack Corp. — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about RadioShack Corp. pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at RadioShack Corp.

From South Carolina — 04/02/2008

Radioshack is a great job for a college student but unfortunately that's about it. I worked under two different managers who were very accommodating with my school schedule. I hear they used to pay enough to live a decent life on, but sadly this is no longer the case at all. None of associates in stores in my area made over 10/hr. As far as respect goes some customers will love you and let you know but others will basically call you ignorant for not knowing the minutiae of obscure electronic gizmos! Others are mad (with good cause I might add) at Sprint and you receive the brunt end of that. I have called Sprint way too many times for a customer which led to no sales and actually hurt my pay. I felt like it was my job to help out customers the best I could, however. As someone who has already earned a bachelors and just needed a part-time job while I finish my masters, the haughty attitude of many obviously uneducated customers began to get to me. I think I needed this experience personally though to give me some real world experience outside of school and learn how to deal with irate people. Job security is great if you are at least mildly competent as your manager will be glad to have you! Advancement in the company is a joke to be honest. My sales manager and I went over the figures and considering the number of hours he worked he barely made more than an associate per hour! Benefits are only health insurance you have to pay a good bit for and limited vacation days. Work/life balance is great for an associate, but I know it is awful for management. There are Radioshacks everywhere so the location was good. My co-workers were generally other college students and older individuals who were working 2 jobs. They were on the whole good honest people who knew electronics well. The work environment was generally laid back. However, towards the last few months I saw increasingly more desperation on the part of the district manager. He was constantly sending emails and making store visits trying to implement about 50 different programs to make the company more money. I'm guessing the downturn of the economy + lower prices in larger stores are really running RS in the ground. I think the company has gone too far from where it started and is struggling to find its identity in a world of Best Buys and Circuit Citys. Only time will tell if Radioshack will again become a decent place to work. On the whole though it's an above average job for a college student or someone needing a second job.

From Havelock, NC — 01/07/2008

It really depends on what kind of store you work at. When I worked in Boston, I loved my co-workers.. but my manager was very demanding that we stick with our customers like glue. Now that i work at Radio shack here in havelock, its awesome!! my manager is amazing.. I just had a baby, so she works around my schedule, so either me or my husband can be home to take care of him.. also all my co-workers are like family!! we don't compete to see who can sell the most... we just help the customers with what THEY want, and we don't force them in to anything. Its a wonderful envirment to work in... i know a lot of radio shacks don't get a good review, but it's all about the attitude that the employees want to bring into the store.

From Fort Worth, TX — 10/23/2007

I Have been with Radioshack for two years, and I really like the job. I started out as a full-time sales, then made it to manager in training, and now I'm a manager at 22. The career potential is wonderful, they usually only promote managers from within the company. The Pay is decent. It is great if you don't have a spouse and kids to support alone. Of course your going to work with people that are incompetent, welcome to life. There are Radioshacks every where, so the chances of getting one by your residence is great. The health benefits are very good. The store is a lot of fun. You get to work in a small business without the hassle of a small business. Everything but sales is taken care of by corporate.

From OR — 02/22/2007

I started working at Radio Shack right before Christmas so I was really thinking I was going to make 14-20 dollars an hour.( Thats what I was promised if I was a top performer and I was 2nd in my district.) However that was not true. My best pay check was 1000 after taxes which was during hot friday. Other then that I was looking at pay rate of 11 dollars an hour. Which to me is *$H***. I got decent resept there so that wasnt that bad. I was at a store where they had a 3000 inventory loss and found any stupid reason to let everybody besides the manager go. I didnt even steal crap and I was let go. We where way understaffed and I working overtime was a most which I didnt want to do. As far as the people I worked with my boss was really cool dude and I didnt want to let him down. I felt bad for him though he was way under paid. Wanted to kill himself with all the bs stress that was going on. Over all if your a young kid living at home looking to make a dollar or two its not the worst job. Its not a place to stay till you die.

From Waycross, GA — 07/02/2006

Pay
I work at one of the highest performing stores in the district. We make great money! The company is fair in their compensation and realizes if we don't succeed than neither do they. They distribute lists and aids to help us sell the top products--those that make us and them the most money.

Respect
I get a great deal of respect from my employer. They never make me do anything that they wouldn't do themselves which is great.

Benefits
I get full benefits to include medical, dental, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability. It is through a good company, too.

Job Security
Not everyone is guaranteed a job--you have to be able to sell. I am now the Asst. Manager so I'm guaranteed a certain number of hours.

Work/Life Balance
I do spend a lot of time up there. The only problem with this is the new WorkBrain thing where it schedules you for some pretty strange shifts.

Career Potiential/Growth
I compled the Manager-In-Training program and loved it! There was so much great knowledge presented not only dealing with RadioShack but business in general.

OVERALL RADIOSHACK IS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR BUT YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO WORK HARD FOR YOUR MONEY. YOU ARE NOT A CASHIER, YOU ARE A --SALES ASSOCIATE-- WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE TO OFFER EXTRAS AND OFFER THE BEST. IF YOU ARE WILLING TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PAYCHECK, GO WORK FOR RADIOSHACK.