Working at RadioShack Corp. — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about RadioShack Corp. pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at RadioShack Corp.

From Homewood,IL — 07/20/2010

Radioshack has absolutely no loyalty to their workers. It takes much time to become knowledgeable in all aspects of the salesfloor. There's so much to know on top of staying ahead of your sales game. They find ways to get rid of you if you decide you don't want to step up to a managerial position. I was offered the step up, but because I felt that I can do better than 6 day work weeks, 51 hours, and only $30,000 yearly, they had to find a simple solution for me...termination. Never did I express myself to corporate in a manner such as I did here. I simply refused it. I was comfortable as a sales associate. I feel like they're the ones that are missing out. I was dedicated to my customers. So off I go to find a real job once I'm done chilling off of my unemployment.

From Tifton, Georgia — 01/31/2010

I've worked at Radioshack since late October of 2009. I joined the Radioshack team in order to make some extra money while attending college full-time.

I'm not quite sure where people on this site are coming up with low pay. I haven't made less than $11/hour on my paychecks working 40 hours a week - I even made $15/hour during the holidays. Then again, I was the top selling part-time sales associate in our district.

If you're interested in becoming a sales associate at a Radioshack, there's only one thing you need to remember - You are there to serve your purpose. If your purpose is to sell things and you can't do that, then you should be fired immediately. If your purpose is to tend to store operations and you can't do that, then you should be fired immediately. If your purpose is... I think you know what I'm saying.

My DM seems to be a great guy. He has done nothing but treat me like a genuine human being - every time he calls our store he makes sure to ask me how my day's going and offer friendly insight as to how I can improve if I'm lacking in an area. Great guy altogether who really knows how to treat the people under him.

My manager is an excellent one in my opinion. I understand exactly where he's coming from most of the time and he's not scared to let you know how he really feels about things around the store or about upper management. If something needs to be done as far as sales go, he'll be sure to let you know exactly where you should be and he'll even help you to get there with his insight.

Altogether, management in my district does not seem to be holding up to the same example many others are talking about here. Our district has the privelige of having competent, understanding management who will work with you on a personal level and even take time to hear you out - I find this sort of behavior very impressive.

My co-workers are a diverse group - we all come from different backgrounds and each have our strong and weak points. I love working with all of them for the most part, but, at the same time, I am a bit of a rogue so I don't deal with them often unless they're helping me with a situation in which I'm unfamiliar with. Altogether, co-worker competence is great! Friendly people.

I am starting to feel a bit over-worked lately due to juggling school and work. The work environment gets a bit heated sometimes when dealing with stupid customers. I hold the utmost respect for every functional member of society, but any person that walks up to me without respecting me will get no help from me.

Some people are genuinely idiots. I love being in the middle of a phone activation when some person calls in on the store phone to ask me why the TV they bought from Wal-Mart isn't picking up channel 6. It's even funner when they become annoyed by your inability/unwillingness to help them resolve the matter.

Most customers are fools. Treat them as such.

From Santa Rosa, CA — 12/13/2009

I personally like the job very much, but than again my job prior to Radioshack was with Walmart. So Radioshack feels like heaven.

From Twin Cities, MN — 03/28/2009

PAY: Well, the pay for Part Timers in my area for part time is 7.10/HR before commission. Now, I had initially been seeking a Full Time position (Which is 7.65/HR), so the amount I had been getting was still far below what I was expecting. I won't discuss the exact commision rate, but understand, it is very low. So, either way, full time or part time, you're base pay will be low, and your commission will all be based on how well you sell.

RESPECT: Personally, I've been respected by my fellow managers and employees. All of them understand the pressure they're under, yet, they all seem to be searching for a position beyond the company. Towards the end, it seemed that the company was so desperate to sell, that it was firing all those who were not meeting the numbers given.

Benefits: I never used the RadioShack Benefits, so I CAN NOT give a review on the benefits.

JOB SECURITY: For my Part Time position, my position seemed pretty sucure for my time with RadioShack...(Until Recently)...Everyone has been given VERY strict standards that must be met... UNDERSTAND that this is only MY district... Some locations can meet they're expectations with no problem.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE:... The only problem I've had is, that they may change your schedule, quite dramatically, at any point in time (even though its against the law).

CAREER POTENTIAL/ Growth: Unless you have a degree, you likely won't make it past Store Managers... Now, while it might sound good to be a store manager... Its not as good as you may think...

LOCation: RadioShack has like 5000-6000 stores, so it has been VERY close to me, and likely, close to others.

CO-WORKER COMPENTENCE: Everyone I worked with was very good. They were all good sales associates.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment was good. We had a decent amount of customers, at the same time, we had a good amount of down time.

From Brookfield, WI — 02/01/2009

The job pays base plus commission. There are 4 people in my store, and if you split the amount of money coming in, you cannot reach your "quota", and won't get any commission. You get ok money from selling cell phones. It's to bad everyone already has one.

Everyone there is ok, I find most of the people that work at radioshack are at least a little nerdy. Which is ok, and I guess that's basically what the job entails.

I do feel as, if I don't sell enough, they will let me go. And that time spent with the company means nothing, or favors you do for them.

But as far as I see, if you sell well, anything else really doesn't matter too much.

As far as I can see it seems like it's going to take about 15 years to become a manager. And being a manager, you don't get paid well, so I can't see staying with the company for too long.

Extremely high pressure sales isn't for me. Nor is lying to get sales.

Any days off, I can have if I request. I float, and fill in, because the other people I work with have things they need to do, and that's fine with me, but when I need a specific day off, I expect to receive it also.

The people I work with aren't stupid. Somethings I know more about than them, and vise versa. But when it comes to parts, we all have to put our heads together.

From Glen cove, NY — 11/29/2008

Well, I had a good experience working for Radioshack, but this is only because I worked in a 1.2 million dollar store and I have a pretty face. Radioshack customers (a lot of them are dumb old men) are retarded and will buy anything from a pretty girl. I had an awsome boss who was very encouraging and kept the store in great shape. I didnt make any money really, but I only worked 18 hours a week. But around holidays when my boss needed me more, i found myself to be more stressed because i was in there so much more. I could NEVER work there as a career, this job was only a partime gig while I was in college. It is a joke if anyone thinks they can live off the salary. My boss did work 60+ hours a week and im sure it is not worth it. Still, I loved the people i worked with and had many fun days there. I just wouldnt recommend it as a career.

From Oroville, CA — 10/16/2008

Alright, so first of all I have to agree with the girl that wrote a review a while ago. Customers really do think that because you are a girl working in an electronics store you know absolutely nothing. I actually had a lady tell me that I didn't know how to change a battery and to not touch her stop watch and let a man do it. Made me a little mad needless to say.

Respect: I am actually lucky in my store. My manager and I get along really well. His superiors however are another story. They never have anything good to say when they come in, and it's really getting old after 2 1/2 years.

Benefits: You don't really get any, other than a discount. 30% off of RadioShack products and 10% off of everything else. They pay you minimum wage and you have to work your butt off to get anything more than that. They used to have this thing were if you were promoted to full time you got a raise. Except that out here in California, they raised minimum wage and it ended up being the same amount full timers got. And Radio Shack is too cheap to raise the amount full timers are paid. So, now we all make the same. Commission is pretty hard to come by. I work in the store that sells the most wireless in the district and my paychecks still suck. I remember making $700-800 a check every 2 weeks. But because they have dropped the amount you get paid on wireless sales, my checks have literally been cut in half. This last check I got was for $497.00. I cant pay my bills on that!

Job Security: There is really any. You have a constant feeling of "I could be fired today." Not because of the employee doing anything wrong, but because the higher ups decide that maybe you didn't meet the quotas for a month. My husband actually worked for the same store I do and he got fired last year. Reason: he was stealing from the company. First of all, let me just clarify by saying that he never stole anything. Second, the way they fired him was to have the district manager come in and tell my husband that he had a phone call. The person on the phone was the loss prevention manager. The man on the phone then proceeded to ask my husband why he didn't take names and addresses on some returns and started spitting random ticket numbers at him. Since they were on the phone, my husband had no way of looking up these specific ticket numbers and thus had no way to defend himself. And let me just say, he was most definitely not the only one that wasn't taking names and addresses. Not a single other person in that store was doing it either. Anyways, the loss prevention manager then proceeded to tell my husband that he was suspected of stealing and if he signed this document that the district manager had he would be able to keep his job. He found out later that this "document" was a confession. Against his better judgement he signed it. (we were going through some financial hardships at the time and he just thought that he would start looking for a job and then quit Radio Shack) Well, they DID end up firing him and because of the confession he was required to pay back $1,400.00 to the company for "losses". Once I got a chance to talk to him, I told him he should remit his statement and he then informed me that the district manager said that if he did that, the police would be called and he would be arrested. I ended up screaming at the district manager and giving him my 2 weeks notice. A couple of days later, I decided to not leave because my husband and I had bills and if we were both unemployed it would be even worse.

Work/Life Balance: Alright, I may be schedualed for only 40 hours, but I work way more than that. Plus, while I'm at work, I do all of the Assistant Manager duties on top of picking up the slack of other employees that do absolutely nothing. And, I'm not even the Assistant Manager! I'm just a full time employee.

Career Potential/Growth: There isn't really much growth. And like the others have said, if you want to move up, you must do a lot of ass kissing. And even then, that doesn't always work. This year alone the higher ups have said that they only expect 15% of district managers to keep their jobs this year. It's very competitive and you don't get positions for baseless reasons.

Location: Well, I'm lucky because I only live 2 minutes away from work. So, that's good.

Co-Worker Competence: Well, I only rated this a 3 because there are certain people there that don't want to be there and it shows in everything they do. They flat out refuse to help customers and when they actually do have to help them, they pass the customers off to me by asking questions, getting the customer interested in me, and then walking away. Trust me, I have complained to the manager numerous times.

Work Environment: I would say our store is good to work in. It's clean, the manager is respectful, and for the most part the employees are fun to be around.

Overall, I would say that this is a good company to work for to get through school or something short term, but it definitely isn't something you want to stay in for the long haul.

From Sikeston, mo — 06/29/2008

PAY: to sum it up it up.... it's sorry! im an assistant manager and i dont get paid nearly enough for what is expected of me. I'm suppose to keep meeting my monthly quotas and take on scheduling, payroll, and many other minute tasks.

RESPECT: it is one of the most respectful places i've ever worked at, plus if you are running numbers with the big dogs you get noticed and they let every other associate know who to look up to.

BENEFITS: i gave it a 3 because it allows me to add my fiance even though we are not married... plus for both of us i dont have to pay out that much

JOB SECURITY: if you run big numbers you dont have anything to worry about... you can look at your boss and call him every name in the book and he wont care

WORK/LIFE: absoutly sorry.... for management there is not a whole lot of down time working 50 plus hrs a week.... if the pay was better i would deal with it

CAREER: once again if your numbers are good enough yo can go anywhere

LOCATION: mine is fabalous.... its one of the top in the nation so i cant complain there

CO-WORKERS: they are awsome i would'nt want to work with any other group of employees

WORK ENVIROMWENT: love it i can come and go as i please and everyone gets along great

however, since we have a new CEO the associate pay has went way way down and they are losing all of their top sellers.... the old CEO's motto was take care of the assocites they're the ones putting money into my pocket so we were taken care of really well.... within the weekend alone 3 of the top sellers in my store have put in their 2 week notice... and all they want to tell you is sell more RSSP and push RSAP..... i dont know if they have taken a look at the economy but people are pinching penies any way they can... so to Mr. julian day..... You should think about your associates a little bit more and realize that they are putting the fatty money in your wallet.... if you keep this up this company will go bankrupt because all of your number one producers will be long gone!!!

From Several Places, ct — 06/02/2008

Not the worst job i've ever had. the pay is decent if you don't have to pay rent or any sort of bills. NO way would it support my student loan bills, even as a manager.

First manager had no respect at all, complete jerk (he got fired). second manager was great. Treated me like a valued employee and helped train me for the manager position.

I saw great job security, many employees who should have been fired 10 times over for habitual tardiness, laziness, and failure to perform still work there and the only time people get fired is if they get caught stealing.

I never really took advantage of the benefits, besides the sprint employee plan, 20 bucks a month got me pretty much everything.

I had plenty of time as an associate to go to school and have fun on the nights, but as a manager i worked my ass off and was lucky to work under 50 hours a week.

I guess it has some growth potential. I did make manager after a year and a half of being promised opportunity.

They're everywhere, find one in your hometown. of course when i got my management position i couldn't pick the store. Still not too far away. My first store was in a higher class area so that helped me do a little bit better in terms of pay.

Co-workers....what can i say? Some knew what they were talking about and enjoyed selling and helping customers, others didn't know an xbox from a playstation. You get that everywhere i guess, some workers give a crap and some don't.

The overall work environment was decent. I'm not upset i worked here, but i couldn't live off the pay and i couldn't deal with the bad hours as manager. I highly reccomend this for a college or high school job. But i could never make a living out of it.

From Pennsylvania — 05/03/2008

I have a had a decent experience with the location that I work at. Our manager respects us and treats us like individuals, and makes the store environment a great one to work in. I sometimes feel that field management is too hard on the stores.

PAY: Its not the best paying job in the world, and the only real money making opportunity is in cell phones.

RESPECT: I gave this a 5 because of my particular situation.

BENEFITS: Being that I never had benefits for this company as of yet, I can't give this an accurate rating. For me, it is difficult as a part-timer to gain benefits.

JOB SECURITY: I feel this position has decent job security as long as you do your job and follow operating guidelines.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Scheduling is done based upon forecasted customer traffic, which 90% of the time isn't an actual representation. At times, hours can fluctuate between an extreme increase and decrease; somewhat of an inconsistency. I have no problems working 30+ hrs/week, but am constantly being bumped just over 20 hrs/week. For full timers, especially managers, work/life balance isn't the greatest.

CAREER POTENTIAL: I feel that advancement is possible in the company but not made easy for the associates. To become an assistant manager, you must travel to classes that take place in a district office that can be as far as 3 hrs. from the store. I also learned the the assistant manager position is classified by the company as "temporary", after the end of your training you will be placed as a manager-in-waiting and they will place you in a store as a Manager. If only they could have a permanent management position that doesn't involve total advancement and transfer to your own store. I would also like if they could create a "Supervisor" position that would still be considered management but a notch below an Assistant manager without travel.

LOCATION: My location is convenient, and located in a semi-high traffic area. I am pleased with customer traffic, but it seems that weekdays don't have as much activity as Fridays/Saturdays do.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: This depends upon their individual training. A good portion of my coworkers are competent in the selling aspect, but I think that visual merchandising, store maintenance, signage and other aspects of store operations could be better emphasized.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: I couldn't ask for a better work environment. Positive encouragement exists, and we actually get a "thank you" and a handshake when we have a good day. It feels good to get recognition for something that I did right, and it empowers me to do better in the future. I give great thanks to the manager of my location, he is truly great at being a leader and is a real role model for me.