Work at Race Trac — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Race Trac pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Race Trac

From Ga — 01/12/2010

I work at Racetrac and it has it's ups and downs. The company is backwards on everything they want to make loads of money working off crappy equipment and tools. The systems at racetrac are horrible they make enough money to give the stores up to date stuff but yet to do so. If you get stuck in a store with horrible associates and managers dont worry about complaning racetrac dont fire anyone for anything they just transfer the crappy people around to other stores cause they dont wanna deal with them. They also talk about promotions in the company are easy if you do your job right which is a lie. I've heard talk of promotion since I started and yet to see it all i've seen is a bunch of people hired off the street for management while 4 years employees sit and wait. They keep cutting hours back at stores then come in complaining on how the store looks but dont understand the fact we need more people. They think we can push sales on people like magic they dont relieze people are broke and cant afford all the stuff we have to offer but yet we still get in trouble if we dont push it. Would you come to a store where people try to shove stuff down your throat and you have to keep telling them no. I will say this though I love the job for these reasons you always stay busy always something to do plus it kinda becomes a hobby trying to keep the store nice while working with guests is kinda a sport.

From Tampa, FL — 11/02/2009

I think people are just comming on here to bitch cause maybe they just need to bitch.
Honestly Racetrac wasn't bad at all. For a gas station, it is the best one to be at.
The fact that they pay the lowest grade employee 9.00 an hr is pretty good, considering places like 711 and hess will try to start you at 7.75 to 8.25. For me personally, our store was full of people that just came in, did their job, and went home. As long as the store looked fine, the "upper" management did not mind if we smoked an extra cig or had an extra coffee outside. And we always had perfect store walks. Most of the people at the store I was out actually ended up hanging out together every weekend or so.
I personally was a swing manager, and after about 15 months of being there was going to be moved to a store manager, skipping over co-manager. However 2 weeks before the other racetrac opened and my promotion came I finally got called by someone else for contracting again (which paid 100k a year). So as you assume, I was gone lol. But I honestly can say this place was ok. If I didn't need more money I would have stayed and been fine comming home each night from a place like that. And I can't say that about anywhere else I've worked for yet.

From tampa, fl — 05/28/2009

I have been working for racetrac for three years although the pay is decent the hours suck. I started as an associte and worked my way up which was fairly easy i did not kiss any butts, but i did work hard,respect depends on who you work with. All the store manager does is arrive late to work ,stand at the computer and watch everyone do the job when they should be doing work. benefits are okay i have seen better. job security NO there is none.You'll just have to pray on that one.career potential .... i mean you can move up, but one bad incident can ruin everything. co worker competence = none all the associates that have been hired lately are basically there to collect a pay check they all act as if they know nothing, I'm like they can't really be that dumb. there is no work /life balance Managers work 47 hours or more a week and once you get home you are too tired to do anything. work environment sucks no break and you have to eat whenever you get a chance. If u can find something better these days take it. I mean im not saying the company is all bad it just has more bad than good .oh yea if you are an associate working here you hardly ever get more than 32 hours a week if that . unless you are in upper management you cant really survive working here.

From Garland, Texas — 09/04/2008

Do yourself a favor and don't work for this company unless you are in desperate need of a job. salary they start you off at $8.oo in the DFW area, there is a 25 cents review after 3 months and another 25 cents review after a year. Benefits not good at all, they only pay for one holiday a year for a christmas everyother company that i worked for payed 7 holidays a year. Vacation you get two weeks a year, but you can not take them both at a time, because if you do and you two weeks straight without working you are drop from payroll. job security not really you are replace at anytime, the main reason they are always hiring and so many people quit in the first few days is because they do not give you a break at all it does not matter how long your shift is they want to see you working all the time. You get write up if you miss to greet a customer. work/life balance everyone that was working the same shift i was said that they worked 32 hours a week which i guess is good, but one thing i noticed is that everyone that i been working with had been at racetrac for less then two months except for the shift manager she had been with racetrac for 3 years and i probably made more than her at my previous job. location i gave them a five because they are everywhere there are 4 racetracs within a 10 mile radious of my house. co-worker competence they don't care is just another job that pays the bills, the store manager told my that i could go as far as i wanted with the company that the sky was the limit i almost busted out laughing i am sorry, but i have bigger expectations of myself than to manage a gastation. work environment sucks there is no breakroom, nothing, the cooler is overpack with beer you are struggling to find stuff to stock the coolers. do yourself a favor and find job somewhere else, because you would not like it, I should have noticed at orientation I was with another 27 people and they do this every tuesday and thursday, so that should give you and idea of why so many people quit. ah and everyone that i went to orientation with was going to work just in the garland area.