Working at R & L Carriers — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about R & L Carriers pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at R & L Carriers

From wil oh — 03/08/2010

some of the dumbest people making important decisions
nothing like it was years ago
i understand change but ....................

From Wilmington Ohio — 03/05/2010

A few years ago i would never had said any thing bad about this company but that was before this new leader ship was put in charge and Larry and Mary do not have a full hand in the company they started and loved they need to fire this new leadership team and get us back to a family company who cares about its workers and not the bigggggggggg money

From Wilmington, OH — 03/04/2010

Great family to work with and great benefits.

From wilmington ohio — 02/24/2010

Ok place, better than most out there, today its hard time for any ltl company today.

From elgin il — 01/16/2010

thats just how i feel

From Norwalk,Ohio — 01/01/2010

R&L has undergone significant changes in the last few years and in my opinion and the opinion of most of my co-workers these changes have effected the drivers negatively.
Pay...is capped so you can spend 20 years working at the same rate after you reach your cap that is if you are lucky enough to retain your job and it is not given to the newbies that continue to be hired at lower rates.
The economy has not just effected companies but has delivered a huge blow to the employees. Annual raises were not given, 401-K not matched , personal days taken away, no longer have holiday party which was replaced by drawings which were also taken away, insurance rates increased,safety bonuses given at Christmas to give the false illusion that you are getting a bonus when in essence drivers put their lifes at risk daily and avoid accidents which saves the company millions annually. Vacations are capped at four weeks and are difficult to get unless you have seniority. Your home life is effected daily waiting for a phone call to come in at noon after getting up at 5 or 6 to go in at your scheduled times. Millions are spent on marketing ie: hats , toys ,sponsorships etc. when the best marketing tool there is should be your employees but with the treatment you are showing them you are creating poor moral , increased unnecessary stress, and a negative reputation. Not to mention the increased risk of sending drivers on the road being distracted with undue worries. The company continues to grow at the expense of loyal employees many who have dedicated their lifes to be safe ,productive workers . It is a daily worry if you will have a job tomorrow which is due to incompetencies and poor decisions at the management level not the good service the employees are delivering! These employees have helped get R&L to get to where it is today and they can also be contributing factors to the demise of the company. It would be interesting to see the cuts made at the top ,cutting one person making 6 figures a year would far surpass cheating drivers out of a hour pay daily. I have personally heard it said the top dog started at the bottom and would not forget where he came from. I think actions speak louder then words . I wonder if he is still making what he did 15 years ago , does he worry if he will be called in late everyday and have to worry if that shortage of hours and money in his paycheck will leave enough money to pay his mortgage. feed his family or put gas in his vehicle . How many vacation days /sick days are you taking. To the owners /management it is time to wake up and smell the coffee and take care of those that have made your company what it is today. If you continue with your current tactics you to will become a statistic just like Yellow .

From Las Vegas — 11/21/2009

I can only speak for Las Vegas. No problem with this Company. Bennies could be inproved.

From ohio — 05/28/2009

the thing with R&L is it all depends on your TM AND REGIONAL MANAGER if you have good ones then your better off then some other terminals

From lakeland fl — 04/19/2009

I worked on the docks for 10 years. The pay was great for what I did. There were times that I would sweat, but for the most it was fun. I lived only 3 miles from work, so that kept me coming back, and the health benifits were unmatched by any other. $20 a week covered my whole family. the TM was always nice to me, even if I was at fault. The only problem I had was the night manager. He made alot of mistakes, and would try to hide it with smooth talking excuses. The problem was, he would tell you that HE would "take care of it", then tell the TM that it was the other employees fault, and then laugh about how silly they were and that they should be forgiven for their mistakes. What a nice guy. The teminal itself was dusty and you would come home at night with a film of gray dirt all over any exposed skin that had to be scubbed off. I don't know if this is normal or not, but figure that given that it is a fright dock, I always thought so. The machines that we used were nothing more then 6000 lbs of fast moving race lifts. they have about 40 or so all moving at once at 12-13 mph. I used a GPS outside once to test the speed. They are hysters. with a propane powered four cylinder under you butt. they really move. They care about moving frt. fast, not safe. It may sound bad, but it is what made the job so much fun. I managed to work without an getting hurt for ten yrs, but I have seen some not so smart drivers take a nose dive off the dock or turn a lift over on its side. not a pretty thing. all in all i liked working for R and L and would say that it is a good job

From chicago — 04/03/2009

The only problem I have with the chicago terminal is:
1. trucks, they are assigned as followed, a city driver is linked with a regional driver, this is dumb. If the driver on the road starts at 12:00am and going to Ohio etc, how is he suppose to be back in time so the city driver can get his so call assign truck. another stupid idea is temp workers, these people need their own trucks, because they are the ones tearing up the equip in the truck example: taking the radios out. So corporate is sending the chicago fac. old outdated equipt.If my assign truck is not here, and there is no spare, how am I suppose to work? please respond.