Working at publix — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about publix pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at publix

From central FL — 04/16/2010

I worked for Publix from 02-07, part-time. I never really minded it there. I liked most of my coworkers and what I did. (Bagging and cashiering.) I didn't need/want to move up in the ranks, and I didn't need to get health insurance from them, so I can't speak about that. But it was overall a pleasant experience, and I have nothing bad to say about them. My mom actually now has worked for publix since 1994, and they've treated her well and handled family emergencies, issues, very well. She took 6 weeks off in 03 when I almost died in a car wreck, (not my fault!), and another six weeks in 07 when my grandpa died and my grandma had a stroke. It probably mostly depends on the store you're in, but I still love Publix.

From Columbus, GA — 12/12/2009

It's great for a part-time job only, just for some extra cash but do not rely on it to pay your bills.

From Tampa, fl — 12/05/2009

I have worked at several different types of jobs, I have also worked at Freshmarket and Publix by far out pays them I got hired at Publix full time and at 10.00hr and less than a year later I am making 10.65hr. I get a week paid vacation and 64 hours of sick pay. Not to forget free stock! But as any job I have I don't live of breath the job. It can suck work here but it can suck any where also. But all and all I get paid decent and I have no chance of getting laid off since Publix has never in it's history done that. I think as in any job you get what you put in, but is a job so it's not going to be a cake walk.

From Florida — 10/23/2009

I took a job at Publix part-time to be eligible to purchase the stock. I have a full-time job and worked on the weekends. I admit I didn't like having to work all weekend long, but it wasn't bad. My co-workers were nice and smart. I worked for a month as a cashier and was asked if I wanted to work behind the customer service desk. I only worked there for 6 months, and received 2 maximum amount raises. I liked working at Publix, everyone is friendly and helpful.

From Greenville, SC — 04/02/2009

Pay: For a grocery store, starting off at 7.50/ hr is amazing, compared with many other stores. And with a possible raise within three months and then another every six months, only for a job well done? Unheard of.

Respect: If you respect the office staff, they will generally respect you. Occasionally you get a bad apple, but they are few and far between. I had the privilege of working with a great office staff.

Benefits: Being part time, I didn't use any of the benefits, but I was friends with one who did, and the health insurance did not seem to be very bad. They covered 80% of costs, which seemed reasonable. Also, the stock options made this company a great one to make a career with.

Job Security: If you did your job quickly and accurately, you would be fine. I would go as far to say that these people that give such a negative rating were possibly more of the lazier side of employees. Do your job, do it quick, and don't whine. Basically just be a mature adult.

Work/Life Balance: How you could not have a life when this is a grocery store with a flexible schedule, letting you work as little or as much as you want? The only thing I wanted was a little more hours, but on multiple occasions my ACSM worked with me and gave me the hours, and if you were willing to do a little bit of work you could ALWAYS pick up an extra shift or two.

Career Potential/Growth: Like I said before, Publix is a great company to make a career with. The stock options are great, and they often hire within if you're willing to go full-time and have a good head about you. I know many managers who started off as front-service clerks and are now making bank with the company. A good career with great growth.

Location: The location was good, I chose to drive to a location farther away simply because I enjoyed the people working there more. They were well spaced

Co-worker Competence: Publix generally hired good employees with a good work ethic. The ones who did not want to work were weeded out usually, with a few exceptions. I enjoyed all the people that I worked with.

Work Environment: Environment was very good, and easy to work. The thing I loved best about Publix is that I could see a problem, and go and fix it without having to ask permission to go anywhere, and I was just a front service clerk. I didn't have to check everything with a manager. They realized that there are some problems they don't have to know about and don't have to have control over everything.

I believe that with Publix, all you need is a hard work ethic and dedication. They will treat you right 100% of the time if you treat them right. Just because you may be too lazy or wanting a job that you don't have to actually work at doesn't mean that they're not a good place to work. I always recommend Publix as a good place to work for high schoolers, and also for college age students who are looking for a career.

From Brentwood, TN — 12/02/2008

Pay: People need to understand minimum wage and hourly employees aren't generally meant to be paid enough to live on solely. That is why you work very hard and develop your skills and experience and work your way up! I was paid 8.00 starting off with no experience. I was promoted within one week because I was honest, kind, and hardworking. I always received a raise at each 6 months review.

Respect: Most of my managers were very kind and respectful. I don't mind my boss telling me what to do, that was their job. However, there are always gonna be jerks you have to work for. Get used to it, that's life. Generally though, that atmosphere at Publix is incredibly kind and I found even the managers and corporate personal all very kind and considerate.

Benefits: AMAZING! I paid I think around $30 every two weeks for my own coverage and the coverage is amazing. Only a $250 deductible and a $2,500 a year maximum out of pocket! Coverage that great is hard to come by. They were always very easy to work with. I had a baby under that coverage so I sure know!

Job Security: It's a well run business. I don't see it going anywhere for a long time. But I think it will continue to grow. As long as you are a good hard worker, you don't have to worry about losing your job at Publix.

Work Life Balance: My managers were always very accommodating with my schedule. I always got the hours I wanted and needed because they valued me as an employee because I was a good worker. Managers however really did have to put in a ton of hours.

Career Growth Potential: There are FABULOUS opportunities for growth at Publix. I was promoted within a week, and a few months after was suggested for another promotion, which I declined. Publix always looks to hire from within before they hire an outsider. Everybody I knew at Publix started at the bottom and worked their way up. Including the Assistant Store Manager who was making around $90,000 or more without a college education! This company provides opportunities! Another manager was about 25 and making $60,000 after starting as a cashier only 7 years or so earlier. I constantly was watching people being promoted from within.

Location: It's only in the Southeast. That kind stinks. I really wish they were more national.

Coworker Competence: I worked with a lot of good people. However, there will ALWAYS be the incompetent workers anywhere you go. At least Publix made them tolerable.

Work Environment: Clean, Air Conditioned, Safety Cautious, Very Friendly Associates...people stop being so spoiled! Unless someone is nonstop harassing or harming you, don't even complain about the work environment of Publix.

Overall a great place to work! Not the most exciting thing in the world, but if you just need a job with great benefits and the possibility of moving up, Publix is a wonderful employer and business.

From Valrico, Florida — 09/17/2008

I worked for Publix for over two years while in scool. Easily the best job I've ever had. You are treated with the respect you garner, so if you are an idiot you get treated like one but if you work hard and do your job they take care of you. They promote from within so there is a very good management structure and the managers have all been in your shoes at some point.
I know the hours for managers were extremely long.
Stock options were excellent for full time emplyees.

From Lutz, FL — 08/21/2008

Publix is a good company to work for, for the most part. I have been with Publix for 5 years and looking to get out. The managers change frequently so as soon as I got a good one I liked they would be gone within a few months. Its fun getting to know frequent customers and most of the employees are great. Publix also has a tuition reimbursement program that helped me get through college. The tuition reimbursement is the only reason I stayed so long.

From dacula, ga — 06/27/2008

We have a new store . Our manager is very positive but only tells you what you want to hear. Our hours have been cut, we are expected to do eight hours worth of work in four and still produce results that will astound the upper corporate people. we have petty grievances that no one listens too. a great place to work - i wish! so far i have worked my Ass off and no recognition...plus full time for my co workers is needed and yet they have struggled to no avail. I am lucky that i am not the bread winner....

From Brandon, Fl — 01/14/2008

I worked for Publix for 3 1/2 years and liked it. They worked really well with my schedule. The pay is alright, but then again it doesn't require a college degree to do some of this stuff. Management is fine, everywhere you go you will get a manager you don't like and a manager you do, so it isn't any different here. You have to deserve to be fired.