Working at Progressive Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Progressive Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Progressive Insurance

From Mayfield — 11/15/2009

Pay - Solid for those doing a good job. For the whiners on here who have a problem with it, they should think about focusing more on their job than on whining.

Respect - Good. Unfortunately there are bad apples like those whining here.

Benefits - Best in Cleveland. For those whining, go try another place and you will learn.

Job Security - See Pay above

Work / Life Balance - Good for those who know how to manage their time and focus on the right things. For the whiners on here, they haven't figured it out yet.

Career Potential / Growth - Solid - see Pay above

Location - Mayfield is a wonderful location

Co-worker Competence - Aside from the whiners on here, the other coworkers are well skilled and actually want to contribute to a great place to work.

Work Environment - Good. It will be better once the whiners move out either by choice, or eventually by the result of their slackness.

From US — 11/12/2009

For all of those who bitch, whine and complain.... don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Ask the good employees who were RIF'd in May that are still unemployed...... how easy is it out there to get a job? Sounds like you shouldn't be so unhappy to get a paycheck every other week. If it sucks that bad, why don't you just leave?

From Cleveland, OH — 11/06/2009

I am a Progressive veteran. I can say, without hesitation, that Progressive is one of the finest organizations for which I have worked. Pay and benefits are more than fair. I earned the respect of my peers. Most of the staff are excellent performers. Job security is above average. The work environment is clean and safe. Work-life balance is fair for these tough economic times. Regarding career growth potential, Progressive provides many opportunities for growth. And the Cleveland area provides many amenities. Progressive gives a lot and expects a lot. I think, if they were polled, most Progressive emplouyees would give an overall positive review to the company. Those who do not are primarily employees who cannot hack the culture and do not appreciate the privilege of working for Progressive. As a previous poster indicated, many of these employees are eliminated via periodic "trash dumps". The resulting organization is better served because of these "dumps". I encourage more Progressive employees to post accurate review of this company - to counter those of the ungrateful and, shall we say, "less-than-stellar" employees. And get ready, complainers, additional changes are coming soon that will clean-up this fine organization even further.

From Cleveland, OH — 11/03/2009

This is my first job out of College but I think it s a great work environment. I work in th IT department and and feel very respected by my manager and co-workers. Maybe it is because I work at he headquarters but I feel like there is a lot of potential for advancement. I make good money for my age and have received steady raises over the past 5 years. The hours are very flexible and we are able to work from home if we can't make it in. The only thing I would change is the location because I would rather live somewhere warmer and the only other option is Colorado.

From Mayfield, OH — 10/03/2009

Progressive expects solid performance and pays for it! They give people opportunities to grow in their career. I have found mutual respect as one of the strongest cultural aspects. The facilities are awesome, the benefits are the best I've had, and my co-workers are highly competent.

From Mayfield Village, oh — 09/10/2009

Progressive is a great place to work, has great ammenities and a great campus environment. Beat that in the Cleveland area!

From Highland Heights, OH — 09/09/2009

I've worked there for years. I've had good jobs and bad jobs. Mostly it was either a good/bad fit with my personality. I've been able to move up the ranks over the years. I worked hard and now am in a position I like.

From cleveland, ohio — 09/07/2009

Progressive was a phenomenal place to learn, and grow. It mirrors our overregulated society and has ceased to be the meritocracy it once was. There are three main challenges to the organization which must be changed for it to attain the stock burning status once achieved: a) we need a summary change in our CEO. Glenn is a brilliant tactician and kind leader, but lacks any motivating or strategic ability. We will not achieve growth and innovation through the continued slicing of pricing in the auto and commercial products. Our filings are copied and others are now beating us at our own game. We need to innovate, it's what we do, and have done from the CEO to the administrative assistants for the last 40 years. We need a leader, a visionary, someone to take the incredible talent we contain and turn it loose on the industry to win, not just protect their jobs and discuss pricing through 50 page powerpoint presentations. Glenn's brilliant, but not the motivator the organization needs to move forward. Board...make the tough choices. b) we have to invest in growth beyond our auto charter. Many on this site would argue the contrary, but we have the brightest minds in pricing and claims in the industry. Spend some of our capital on a regional insurer that compliments our lines of coverage. If we spend five hundred million on another company and the partnership doesn't thrive, we can still sell it for five hundred million and say we tried. Try Board, make the effort, shoot for the moon. We need to package or commit to being a 15 billion dollar auto carrier with a mediocre pe ratio, and finally c) we need to remove the lawyer driven environment which controls our ability to create content, customer products, and high performance environments (try to performance manage someone with 10 years tenure). Lawyers support the business environment, they don't delay and run it.

I love this place, and have for many years. Many executives have left Pgr for other companies, few have thrived. Primarily, they weren't surrounded with the talent and energy we have. It's a great place that's gone a little sideways. We need change, we need to be Progressive. If we can get some energy and direction at the senior levels (additional housekeeping needed with some folks trying to eek out a final 5 or 10 years), the pay, opportunities, development and other measured attributes will again exceed industry expectations.

From Arlington — 08/01/2009

I like the old prog, other than the chronic butt itch I get from the ergonomic chairs. Has anyone sniffed a hotdog lately? They smell good.

From Anywhere — 07/26/2009

FRUSTRATED! Prog can be a good place to earn a check, but some of the management just has to go. Over the last 13 years I have watched some of these idiots make some ridiculous choices and do some downright stupid things. No I don't drink the koolaid, and I don't brown nose, but things are OK for me. Not spectacular, but OK. I hate watching how some of the managers/supvs there like to see how much they can get over on those with some decent scruples and ethics. And it's a big game for them to just outright taunt HR! HR has gotten a few, but most of these jerks know they can't do anything to
them without proof. These same jerks know that the people under their thumbs are too afraid to cough up that proof. I've bounced around the company/country over the past 13 years. The names and faces
may change, but the behavior sure stays the same. If not for those redeeming qualities in the food people I meet, I would have given up and ran away screaming years ago.

PAY: OK - Not great.
RESPECT: I think because I've been there so long and have produced good results, I get a decent amount of respect. But because I'm a cube dweller I still have to prove myself to people I newly meet.
BENEFITS: They SUCK!!!! I really think this was their way of forcing us to use Health Services more. Think about it - $15/visit versus 20% of the doctor's bill.
Job Security: Only as good as our management.
Work/Life Balance: Pretty good. Largely up to me how much i want to kill myself. The work is always there when i get back, so I really don't sweat walking away when i need to.
Career Potential: Not so good. If you're good at what you do, you get pigeon-holed; if you suck and don't have good connections, you get walked out. Of course, if you have good connections, you get giant raises, frequent bonuses, promotions and dinner with the boss once a week! (You know who you are!)
Location: Generally OK. Some sites get better perks than others.
Co-worker Competence - See Career Potential
Work Environment - Nice where I am now. I've worked in worse settings.