Working at Progressive Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Progressive Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Progressive Insurance

From MA — 10/18/2010

Maybe it's just a bad day, maybe it's the manager I work for, maybe it's the state I happen to work in....but all of this and years of it leads me to the conclusion that it is simply a strategy of getting "12 hours of work into a 8 hour day" that makes a company like this successful.

From Riverview, FL. — 08/30/2010

I have worked for Progressive for almost 8 years and have been loyal to the company as well as my customers. I used to love coming to work everyday because I loved the people, my manager, and the customers. There was a time when we as customer service representatives were able to put the customer first but that time has passed. Progressive is so focused on all these "initiatives" that they have forgotten what the real focus should be..... our customers. Having been with the company as long as I have it actually saddens me to see the direction we have taken. I prided myself on being an employee and even got an auto policy with Direct. I used to be able to make call backs to customers and or agents regarding situations and was given ample time to do what needed to be done in order to create a loyal satisfied customer. Now all there is... is fear. Our new required stat bench marks do not allow for the great customer service experience I was once able to give. I now have to tell customers to call back instead of me calling out to them in fear of ruining my numbers. I have never been put on a Final Warning or for that matter a Written Warning during my entire career with Progressive pertaining to any type of performance issues until recently. I have not had a one on one or any manager talk since February of this year and find it absolutely appalling that I would be put on a Final after many proven years of great service. I have watched many great employees leave and have watched many get fired who have been with the company for awhile ever since these new stats were put in place. I am not one against change and have supported Progressive through out the years on their various changes. Even when the company split in two and I felt it was not going to be beneficial I supported it... Now look at us trying to put ourselves back together again. All the people in corporate who are making these changes do not take phone calls from customers on a daily basis. I do. The people don't really care about the Loyalty Program, filling out surveys, FLO, or wether or not we have their email. What they care about is the PRICE, GREAT SERVICE, AND FOR US TO BE THERE WHEN THEY NEED US, regardless of how many minutes I might have to be in AUX 4 talking to the DMV to help them fix it. I used to come to work happy and ready to start my day. Now I feel sick and start to freak out if a typing request is going to take longer than 5 minutes for me to finish. I miss the Old Progressive. The Progressive that really did care and did not make it's employees feel like they were actually in a call center.

Overall: The pay is pretty good compared to similiar positions, coworkers are great but burnt out, most Managers are pretty good but some I'd steer clear of, Benefits are ok..

I have been searching for other jobs due to all the changes and the fact that there is NO GROWTH potential within the company now, nor has there been for quite a few years. If you are needing a job that will give you experience then Progreesive will due that for you and the start pay is not all that bad. New Hire trainers are pretty knowledgable and you will get some good call experience before being thrown out onto the floor. If you get burnt out easily doing the same thing over and over again and do not like being micro managed and having everything you do watched, as they do record every where you go on the company computer then you might not be happy here.

From Mayfield Village, OH — 07/17/2010

I am so very happy with Progressive. The pay is excellent, as are the yearly bonuses - even though rumor has it that they will be going away for non-management employees, like me. I am widely respected by my colleagues for what I do. I am so fortunate to have health benefits, particularly in this economy. My co-workers are competent, and management is exceptional. The work environment is clean and healthy, and location is terrific, particularly as I do not have to pay for parking. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Progressive, for giving me this wonderful opportunity to work for you. I hope that the rumored upcoming reductions in force in IT do not impact me. But, even if they do, the education and experience I have gained working at Progressive is invaluable.

From Texas — 04/15/2010

Progressive insurance is one of the best places to work, It provides great opportunities for fresh graduates n work environment is too good, the work stress is very low and is a cheerful atmosphere.. Great Place to work

From baltimore on — 04/15/2010

the only thing i like above progressive is the chick that does the commercials. other than that, the management and other employees that leave progressive have a tendency to poison other companies.

From Anywhere — 04/15/2010

This company takes little if any regard to a employees family life. They are not a family friendly company as spouses are NEVER invited to attend anything. Alot of companies include the spouse because they want to promote healthy families. When we live in a society where there is such a fast pace and really not alot of family time it is nice to include spouses togetherness and healthy relationships. I have found that this company promotes relationships within the work realm but not the family. So this can really set up an atmosphere that tears families apart especially to the degree of this companies outings. There is no reason that spouses should not be invite to alot of this except they just would rather the coworker be "together" than the family. Look statstics show that marriages are falling apart at a rapid rate. Now alot of these are due to office affairs. I am not pointing fingers here but if the shoe fits!

From florida — 03/06/2010

current benefits are competitive with other industries, however, retirement benefits are virtually non-existent. this eliminates any incentive to plan for a long term career with this company and actually promotes "job hopping" by top talent. Wake up Progressive, give us a reason to be loyal!

politics rule promotion and layoff decisions. e.g. in the latest "re-org" last spring, sr. managers with stellar performance records were released while other sr. managers with mediocre performance were retained and promoted. in other examples, leadership vacancies were filled by people who were not pursuing new opportunities but asked by the hiring manager to apply for the job and were subsequently promoted, sometimes without even inteviewing, although other well qualified candidates were already identified and were actively pursuing the vacancy.

From Mayfield Heights, Ohio — 03/01/2010

I work in a call center, part-time. Been there over 10 years. I work nights. Such a safe environment. Only one truly bad manager in this timeframe and they weren't allowed to stay there long. Lots of morale building employee appreciation days (more than once a year). The campaign right now is "you matter" and they truly try to make me feel that way. Just this weekend there were big snowstorms out east and I volunteered for overtime and I got an email from my boss to thank me. I make over double the minimum wage, but I've plateaued, almost maxed out. I have kids, so working part-time nights is the bomb, but on the downside, it makes me completely ineligible for promotion. Don't even try unless you are full-time. I've seen people lose their jobs over the years, but I have never felt management was wrong to fire those individuals. Easiest way to get fired... attendance (not an issue for me, ever). I've seen people use email for personal use. I've seen people get arrested and disclose it to hr. Another for getting caught a half dozen times sleeping. But I've only worked with two people fired for their performance on the phone -- and it took a long time to fire them, and they got lots of chances to improve. The big push right now is average handling time per call. I'm expected to impart tons of empathy and be super friendly, but do it faster and faster and faster. If a customer believes we've made a connection, sometimes they want to gab freely, but I'm expected to reign them in and stop the waste of time. That's hard for me. People who are good actors or actresses make these connections with ease. Part-timers can get all the great benefits that a full-timer gets, but you pay about twice as much -- pretty normal in this industry. Work life balance is great! I don't work holidays due to my tenure, but a new hire only has to work two holidays. I can usually give away or trade hours or switch to a different day to avoid attendance issues when family events force a change. With 400+ people all doing exactly my same job across three states, flexibility is a breeze. I enjoy talking to a new person every 6-10 minutes, and the crazy accident stories I hear keep me enthusiastic about my job helping people. Fatality calls are emotional. We get surveyed every six months and everytime it asks me the worst part of my job. It's always the same thing. If a customer has a damaged vehicle and just calls to ask questions and doesn't want to file a claim, we have a zero tolerance policy that forces employees to file claims -- even if the customer begs, pleads, cries or screams (fully knowing that the likelyhood of their simple question will likely cause their rates to increase). After my kids are fully grown, I won't want to do call center work, so this isn't a lifelong career for me, but it is the best paying, most satisfying part-time job I think I could ever have.

From Texas — 02/20/2010

I've worked at Progressive for almost 10 years now, and I have never once thought about leaving. I'm posting this because I feel the need to defend Progressive. In the 10 years that I've worked at Progressive, I've noticed the people unhappy with Progressive, are the ones that blame others for their career plateauing. Progressive has several claims offices across the country, so every office can be very different, I understand that. One thing that that I will say without certain, WE DO NOT NEED A UNION. Unions are for lazy people who want everything to be equal across the board, when the fact is, some people are just better at their job than others.

From Mayfield Village — 02/17/2010

While I'm sure some folks will think I'm a shill, but I'm genuinely happy with my experience at Progressive. While I can understand lots of folks concerns it comes in ebbs and flows.

I think a lot depends on your immediate manager, my manager has made a genuine effort to increase my job satisfaction and responsibilities.Pay is still a concern, I'm disappointed in my raise this year, and I've been disappointed in the past, but there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said.

I'm lucky to work with very competent folks.

Overall, if it weren't for pay, I'd be a lot happier.