Working at Primerica Financial Services — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Primerica Financial Services pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Primerica Financial Services

From Atlanta, GA — 07/03/2010

Hmm.. a lot of these comments are just rediculas.. Here is my experience.. Police Officer = $70K yr. Primerica = $70K yr. (+ freedom from anyone controlling my time.) Products. Before Primerica After Primerica Debt Debt $2840 month $2840 $308K in debt (home and all) $308k 28 years in debt 12 years in debt ( 14 years sooner!) Life Insurance Life Insurance VUL 35 year term $250k/150k $750k / $250k $250 month $98 month! Auto Insurance Auto Insurance Progressive eSurance $243 $186 Investments $0 $250 month in Roth IRA! So as you can see it worked for me and countless others that I have PERSONLY helped. I have ALL of the licenses (7) which I have obtained while I was part time. As for the $25 month fee (which by the way is what new reps pay, I on the other hand pay $40 month) is for the back office support and website. If you have EVER gone into business for yourself you would know that HIRING a back office staff to process your paperwork, to make sure your work is compliant, to all of the underwriting stuff for you, and the cost of setting up a webite will be MORE than $25-$40 month (believe me because I have done all that before). As for recruiting, it is a BETTER way to help families. I would rather help a person that has the DESIRE to do better for their family than those I have to CONVINCE they need to make that right choices with their money. Primerica is all about helping families to be debt free, properly protected, and financially indpendent... Which families, the families who get involved with PFS. You see, alot of you are looking at Primerica as if it is a profession like Edward Jones, etc.. its NOT.. It is a company that was designed to take regular people who work hard to provide for their families and give them an opportunity to LEARN how to proplerly manage their money, become DEBT FREE, PROPERLY PROTECTED (I had the WRONG insurance from a so called REPUTABLE insurance company) and FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT. After learning how money works NOW I GO and SHARE the same concepts with those CLOSEST to me.. these rediculas claims about have to "go sell to your family and friends" are just stupid. Who would you rather help first famlies and friends OR strangers! As for the business, Primerica is designed for people to make EXTRA money on TOP of what they make from their jobs... NOT to be a JOB... If you go full time with Primerica, you had better be positioned to be a RVP , and as a RVP you better have at least 5 part time agents who helps at least 2-3 families a month or else you WILL struggle as a RVP. Now if you want to be wealthy, then you will have to build a big team ( it is common for big RVP's to have at least 50 part time agents working out of their office) and those who desire to be RVP's, those are the people who are pulled from the pack to be mentored! So to those who want to take a look at Primerica, it is a great company for you to consider if you want to make great PART TIME income, or if you want to BUILD a BUSINESS of your own. I know my wife and children are glad I decided to build a business so we can have freedom to do the things we want to do.. Oh yeah.. I started Primerica 6 years ago and have been full time for 3 years. I still love it today because I am FREE!

From manchester, pa — 02/16/2010

this is the most amazing company and opportunity that i have ever encountered... this is not a get rich quick program it requires HARD word! and it requires time and listening to people in your upline, but if you do these things you can and will be successful!!!!

From CO — 02/11/2010

At Primerica you get what you put into it, AND there are a few representatives that are not as ethical as the company demands. However, every company I've ever worked for has the same situation. I find that at least in my Primerica office the good things far out weigh the not so good things because we have a good group of people. All of the negative bloggers seem to have complaints that I don't see in my office. I either got very lucky or they were very unlucky (if they actually tried Primerica at all).

There are two differences with Primerica from a traditional job that some people find negative. First, it is generally not a traditional job where you work in an office and get a salary. My office brings on recruits part-time to see if they are motivated enough and like the work, but at least my office doesn't misrepresent the opportunity as some bloggers have claimed. The second thing that turns a lot of people off is a high focus on recruiting. I asked about that early on and I was told by a woman in my office, "Some people are real good at helping people using our financial products, some people are real good at recuiting, and some are good at both. We need them all. Unfortunately, those who are only good at recuiting often have the loudest voices."

The recruiting focus actually makes sense even though the company focus is more balanced. Any successful business owner knows that the secret to getting rich is to do a great job and then duplicate yourself. Those who focus on recruiting without doing a good job training fail miserably at Primerica. Those who focus on solving debt and cash flow problems for families without recruiting can get by but they will never get rich (just like in a traditional job). Each Primerica team must have a balance to do well.

From Englewood, CO — 01/21/2010

Primerica is an awesome company. I have been working with them for a little over a year now and have nothing but good to say about them. IT IS NOT A SCAM!!! If you actually put forth an effort in the company, you can make some serious money. This company is heavily regulated by the SEC as well as DORA. If it was a scam or a pyramid scheme, it would have been shut down a long time ago. It has been in business since 1977. For it to be in business for 34 years is extremely impressive. While most financial companies are failing, Primerica still shows a profit. The company has NO DEBT and delivers on all of it's products. Overall, I LOVE WORKING WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

From Denton TX — 09/28/2009

Primerica is the type of business for all those do gooders who feel that they are the most motivated, positive, outgoing, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, dedicated, hard working people in the world. You know the ones? I say to you, If you are all these qualities describe you, then you will be a Six Figure income earner in Primerica within 12 months!

From Atlanta, GA — 09/22/2009

Some of the comments below are misplaced. Allow me to clarify on some things as a former Primerica Senior Regional Manager from years back.

PAY-----It's commission-based, but so is every other job in some respects. If you don't show up for work, you don't get paid. There's nothing hard to understand about that. Same thing at Primerica and every other incentive-based company on the planet. If you aren't selling, you're starving. You walk in the door to recruitment meetings not really knowing this sometimes, but you probably weren't paying attention over two hours if you don't understand this when you walk out.

By the way, I currently own a Web development company. Guess what, I'm not on salary here, either.

RESPECT-----For the most-part, you get what you give. As with any other company with over 150,000 employees and reps, you're bound to run into a few people with whom you just don't get along. Some people here had bad experiences. Suck it up.

JOB SECURITY-----You literally have to break the law to have your contract terminated with the company.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE-----Honestly, you'll be going eye-ball to eye-ball with people across the kitchen table mostly during the evenings. This is primarily for two reasons: (1) If you're new, you probably have a day-job, and (2) Your prospects probably have day jobs, too. Once again, it's the nature of financial sales. If you don't like it, set lunch appointments and abridge your sales presentation.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH-----This is based entirely on your ability to recruit a team and duplicate yourself. This does not make Primerica a "pyramid". It is a General Agency system like Allstate, and you can recruit people to override [their sales] upon achieving certain benchmarks. "Recruiting" does not make Primerica a pyramid. The ability to override sales don't, either. The company already earmarks about 100% (or more) of the first year's premiums from insurance sales as commission. EVERY insurance company does this. It's years 2 through 7 that the insurance company expects to make money. Additionally, the SEC, NASD, and state insurance commissions have laws against allowing securities and insurance products to be sold through "pyramid" structures. In other words, PRIMERICA WOULD BE BREAKING THE LAW IF THEY WERE ACTUALLY A PYRAMID. Once again, they are a General Agency system like Allstate, State Farm, Prudential, etc.

LOCATION----Irrelevant. If you can talk on the phone and drive to get a signature and pick up a check, you can sell and make money.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE-----All over the board.

WORK ENVIRONMENT-----All over the board. You can either end up in a great office with great people or a crap office with crappy people. Just remember, it's your choice to sign the paper work to become part of a particular team. Be smart and get to know the people over a few weeks of visits before joining THAT particular team.

ONE LAST THING----Yes, you must pay your own licensing fees. Yes, you must absorb the cost of your marketing materials. Sorry, but many financial services sales organizations require this. I even worked for a printing company once where we had to pay for the samples that we used...and I wan't working on commission there, either.

Additionally, it is ridiculous to even suggest that you are "paying to go work for Primerica". No, you are paying for licenses that are portable should you ever decide to work for another financial services company. Primerica doesn't strip you of your license once you leave. You are LITERALLY paying for YOUR licenses.

As to Primerica's products, if they pay an insurance claim when someone dies, then it's a great product, isn't it? If you invest a few-thousand dollars which later becomes tens-of-thousands of dollars, then it was a great product, right? No, Primerica products aren't the cheapest, but the companies that offer the cheapest products don't have sales reps drive to your house at 7PM to sit with you and your spouse for an hour to review your financial goals or explain financial concepts to you, either. "WWW - DOT -WHATEVER -DOT - COM isn't going to be there for you at 4AM should your spouse dies of a heart attack. Your Primerica rep will.

Hope this helps.

From Anytown, USA — 07/02/2009

We Personally LOVE the people we work with. In our area of the world, our services are extremely valued. People in this company and on our team are positive and always willing to help you to be more successful. Our team carries the strong mentality of being Educators rather than so called "product salesman/pushers" We simply aim to educate families about their finances, but on the whole we allow them to make their own decisions. We've run into a variety of people of all kinds. Some sat down with us and said "I have benefit XYZ from the military, or this is what we're doing for retirement." Honestly, in those cases, we thank the people for sitting down with us, and ask who they know that might benefit from the opportunity to sit down. In other situations, we're a light at the end of a long tunnel of debt relief. A Majority of our clients don't own houses, so we're able to help them with things like renters insurance, and developing goals and dreams of owning their own house, and more importantly becoming debt free and financially independent.

Respect: The people on our team are fantastic. We may have differing opinions at times, but you know? They really are awesome and are always there. We work as a team to help each other be successful.

Benefits: There are third party options for low cost health insurance now. A benefit for us is allowing us to make our own schedule and not be tied to the limitations of the modern and very structured world of work.

Job Security: You betcha! If you're patient, this will work for you. We've been at it for almost a year and have seen serious growth in our potential, the potential of our team, our learning curve, and an increase in the number of people we've been able to help.

Work/Life Balance: We have a 6 year old. He understands the importance of the business too. He is excited for us to help people to be able to have more money, and create a way for them to have more family time also. We definitely have a life. We've taken every Weekend including friday off for the last year. Tell me how many jobs you can do that with? If we've wanted a day off, we've taken it. We use extra time to talk to people, and it really is about the people skills. People don't care what you know, until they know how much you care. We care about our clients on this team, and I know there are many other teams that are passionate about the clients they serve as well.

Career/Potential Growth: Moving up in the company is cake, if you're patient and persistent. I will say that if you're planning on doing this, you shouldn't quit your "day job" to focus on this if you have no other source of income. This is a patient business that if done right has great potential for being a full time career.

Location: Our location is wherever our clients are. We are working on opening a satellite office in our area, but the reality of it is, they are called "Kitchen Table appointments" for a reason right? Sure, having a place to check in would be nice, but we serve clients on an individual basis and provide them the opportunity to recieve services and information in the comfort of their home.

Co-Worker Competence: Primerica, yes is a business that offers an opportunity to a diverse group of people. No major degrees or training are necessary to become a business partner. You need to have the willingness to be coachable, have patience and be willing to work with your RVP and your other teammates to accept feedback about how to be more successful. If you're not coachable, (no I don't mean brainwashable either....) then this opportunity becomes more difficult. On our team, there are a lot of different strengths. We seek each other to fill gaps in our knowledge when we know someone else might have more information than we do about a particular topic.

Work Environment: Environmentally, we're not all in an office together, but when we get together in large group functions, it is nothing but positive and encouraging energy!

This system works if you want it to work, and you're willing to put your passion and energy into helping to improve the quality of life for your community and the people that surround you!

PS changes may be ahead. Watch out for more positive information to come your way!

From toronto, ontario — 05/18/2009

Primerica has given me the opportunity to run my own life. i am full time with the company and replaced my income in 1.5 years. None of that money was made from recruiting anyone all earned on my own time for the first 2.5 years. I have never closed a sale unless it benefited the client. We do not just recruit anyone. I have turned many people away because i dont just want anyone off the street working with me. I recruit these people to help people with their finances so i ask my self would i trust this person and if so then i will hire him or her. I do make some money on my recruits but i spend a ton of time in training and motivating them. It is commission and most of the high net worth people in this world are self employeed and commission paid employees.

From Urbandale, Iowa — 04/24/2009

Goog growing company. expanding fast and furious. Love it...

From Lima, Ohio — 09/14/2008

Why do people think this is a "pyramid scam" think of one company that isnt a pyramid as far as a "scam" this is one of the greatest companies I have ever worked for. The pay is what you put in to it if you are working hard then you are making money. As far as working with co workers they might not be "co workers" but they are team and i think that is better than Co workers.It is a team enviroment which makes the enviroment soo much better. As far as the location goes what more could you want you advance enough and you can put an office almost any where in the world!! what more in a company could you ask for you are HELPING PEOPLE!!! Are you really selling something if what you provide them saves them money and helps with there future? You guys that leave bad reviews about this company have got it all wrong you must be with the wrong team because mine is great and i love everyone of them so if you want check out my website and see for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!