Working at PricewaterhouseCoopers — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about PricewaterhouseCoopers pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at PricewaterhouseCoopers

From mumbai — 06/17/2010

Nice to work for PwC Consulting group... Good people and a great company

From England South East — 10/25/2009

Fantastic Job, great employer who cares about your development

From Gurgaon — 04/28/2009

It is just an okay company to work with .

From Los Angeles, CA — 04/19/2009

I spent more than 4 years with PwC and, unlike many here, did not leave hating it or the partners. (It may have helped that I left on my own terms.) I thought the pay and benefits were fair -- higher than industry but commensurate with the expectations and hours worked. There were lots of opportunties to learn and grow. The parts that were not so good were the sales-based culture and the palpable sense of greed that permeated the partnership. At the end of the day, it was all about money -- selling jobs, managing revenue, billing hours, and making sure you were positioned to get the big year-end bonus. Client service, engagement quality, and doing the right thing, were not big on the radar screen.

I believe that PwC is not as bad as some accounting firms, and perhaps better than most. I would recommend it as a place to start a career, perhaps to make manager. But then if the partner track is not obviously on your agenda, get out and find a good position within industry or on your own. It's no place to be if the constant sacrifices won't be rewarded.

From Rochester, NY — 07/08/2008

Great company to work for unless you want a life too.

From Vancouver — 06/02/2008

I recently left PwC after a number of years there. PwC has great benefits, average pay for junior staff, great pay for senior staff, and a strong team of intelligent driven individuals. The organization is built on Type A personalities which makes for stimulating and enjoyable work but also means that people are quite willing to sacrifice their lives and do anything to get promoted. Work life balance is touted but not really practiced. It depends a lot on the partner to whom you report. Don't count on the bonus. If you are lucky enough to get one, it is peanuts compared to the effort you put into earning it.

Why I left – got a huge raise and am doing interesting specialized work and virtually no overtime/weekends/stat holidays. Was informed I was well on track for promotion several times during the course of my last year there, until a week before official process began and then the winds changed, without explanation and in spite of above average performance ratings for almost every single project since my last promotion. In the months that followed, my coach (the person who guides you through goal setting and is your advocate during the big review meeting) then suggested I seek out a new coach (fired by my coach - ouch!).

What I miss – some really nice people and an organization that understands strategy and puts effort into achieving that. Also some good perks and a recognition of the need to engage employees (which is still a work in progress but there are mechanisms for feedback and genuine attempts to make people happy through improving benefits etc in my opinion). The organization clearly understands the need to invest in their staff in terms of professional development, conferences, professional certification, etc, and is quite willing to spend that kind of money on staff.

What I don’t miss – dysfunctional performance review process. Setting aside my own experience, I sat through performance reviews last year and heard rave reviews about a junior staff by everyone in the room, including a strong recommendation for promotion. That individual was NOT promoted as the decision ultimately is made by the partners in a second meeting that follows the big group review session – which begs the question what is the value of the whole process if the partner can undermine it all based on whim? Also don’t miss working every stat holidays, constant pressure for utilization, nor a few of the hyper-competitive "would sell my mother for admission to partnership" colleagues. Oh yes, and the humongous egos and pomposity of 99% of the partners.

From Jersey City, NJ — 09/16/2007

I've found PwC to be enjoyable and a good place to work - but then again I work with great people and they are few and far between. As great as it has been to me, be prepared to be made to feel like you should be grateful and kissing the ground of the partner who gives you the pittance of a bonus that will get raped by Uncle Sam. The 40 hour work policy is a joke, and work-life balance is for those who don't want to progress and are not in anyway consciencious.

From Tampa, Florida — 06/20/2007

I personally have been with the firm a couple of years. It is definately a very challenging environment. The expectations are very high, and pressure to continually grow your performance is ever present. PwC hires top talent and fully exploits them to meet the needs of the business. Yes, it is a patnership and that has it's pros and cons. However, PwC rewards it's top performers very well, and that goes from the top on down. Everything is what you make it and I personally, though having had to face challenges at PwC, view it as an excellent place to work. The benefits are strong, the pay is above industry norms and there is a big push for "Work / Life Balance". However, you are ultimately in charge of your career, be it in promotions, advancement, time off, continuing education, etc. You must be capable of setting boundaries and sticking to them. The Firm has a way of burning out the highest calaber employees whom lack the ability to say 'no'. Ultimately, I could land another job in a second... but I am happy where I am... at the moment ;-) .